• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shooting, possibles bag, haversack

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjkershul

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A recent topic served to denote the distinctions between shooting and possibles bags. Where does the haversack fit in? Are haversacks military possibles bags?

Haversacks are flat, shoulder or back carried general purpose bags. They are kind of the plastic grocery bags of the day. Something you might carry foodstuffs and cooking gear in.

Shooting/hunting/shot bags (IMHO) properly have what it takes to shoot and clean the firearm - nothing else. Possibles bags are for everything in between - what you would otherwise carry in your pockets or a pack. Strike-a-lights, sewing kit, fishing hand-line, beaver castor, pretty rocks, frying pan, etc., etc.

You don't want to dig around in all that junk when you need a flint or a ball in a bleeding hurry.

I think the Haversack isa genuine term from the period and it is said to be a military item for carrying mainly food as I have heard on other forums, it has been said that one should not be used by civilians, I guess the concept was patented by the military, I prefer a linen or canvas bag with a button down flap and a single shoulder strap to carry my non shooting gear, such as food, rope, a chunk of rope and various odds and ends for a day or twos outing that way I am not in conflict with the non military use of a haversack rule. :hmm:

Haversack = PC can o' worms.

The military haversack is a bread or ration bag for soldiers on the march.

Fur trade employees were generally fed out of the pot, so no need for a personal food bag.

Farmers often had their dinner in the field, but that out of baskets most likely.

Hunters could carry food in pockets, wrapped in a cloth or handkerchief.

Longhunters and mountain men had pack animals to carry their food.

The market wallet is a good PC option.

If you don't care about PC, haversacks are very handy, and just about every vendor sells them.

Did you ever notice that Native Americans don't use haversacks, even though they were often on the move, just like soldiers? :hmm:

I have seen some Indian bags but they may have been for gun gear, I don't think the NA's had the same diet or basic social customs we do that would require them to carry the same stuff we do.I like a shoulder bag for carrying my gear and strapping my blanket and outer wrap to the strap at times...notice I said shouder bag and outer wrap, I don't have a haversack or open front hunting shirt, once again if on a hunt and someone asks me about the gear, I tell it as it is, I prefer a shoulder bag for my gear, in the past the shoulder bag called a haversack was a military issue and to date there is no documentation that the thousands of men who carried them in war time found any use for them or the general concept as civilians.I have had two wallets and find them much less usefull or handy than my shoulder bag. BTW Pichou those bags you have for sale are nice looking ones, I saw them on a trade blanket on another forum somewhere.I do have a rather small "wallet" that is more like a split pouch that I can carry quite a bit of stuff in and loop it over my sash, but still nothing beats the shouder bag for ease of access at least nothing I have found.

Pichou said:
Haversack = PC can o' worms.

The military haversack is a bread or ration bag for soldiers on the march.

Fur trade employees were generally fed out of the pot, so no need for a personal food bag.

Farmers often had their dinner in the field, but that out of baskets most likely.

Hunters could carry food in pockets, wrapped in a cloth or handkerchief.

Longhunters and mountain men had pack animals to carry their food.

The market wallet is a good PC option.

Civilians used all sorts of bags, sacks, and bundles to carry personal items. The "haversack" was used by the military to carry one's food ration, or to carry oats for one's horse.

The budget, market bag, shoulder bag, pack, or what have you was used by many civilians throughout history. IMHO, my shoulder bag or "budget" doesn't look anything like a military haversack, but the basic principle remains the same.

I suspected the various terms for the various bags were often interchangeable, depending on one's location, country of origin, and time period. IMHO, I suspect this is a question of semantics, more than an actual distinction between the various bags. For example, the term "market bag" could be virtually any bag or sack used to carry items to, or from a market. IMHO, the same sack could become a "pack," or "wallet," depending on location, use, and time frame.

In truth, who really knows? In this case, we can only make a, somewhat, educated guess at what historic documents are telling us.

J.D. said:
Civilians used all sorts of bags, sacks, and bundles to carry personal items. The "haversack" was used by the military to carry one's food ration, or to carry oats for one's horse.

Do you suppose that military men would continue to call any shoulder bag a "haversack", once they left military service? I ask because I have an old retired Navy buddy who refers to a wall in his house as a "bulkhead".

-----------------------------
The name 'Haversack' originates from its usage to carry 'Havercake'. Havercake was a rough type of bread simply made from oats and water, with the addition sometimes of yeast to bulk it out. Oats was the staple food of the poor, especially in the textile districts of the north of England, during the privations caused by the Napoleonic Wars. Havercake was made in the form of a thick biscuit as a convenient way to take food to the factory for the mid-day meal, and the haversack was the bag it was carried in. This system, using havercake carried in a haversack, was also used widely by the military for the individual soldier to carry his rations.

BillieInOregon posted the question I was going to ask about snapsacks, but then I thought of another. What did the NAs carry in their bandolier bags?

Yeah and one of mine still wants to know who's at his hatch when there is a knock on the door.

I am not familiar with the NA accuterments, Pichou has much more research in that area the following is a interesting sentence from the site posted above

"There appears to have been a variant of the haversack used by peddlers and farmers that was of a more rectangular shape, but more research is needed to document their use by the militia."

There as suggested were a lot of bag types,if the above is true one could use a haversack type bag that was not square as a civilian.I personally think that the square or rectangular shoulder hung bag likely goes back for centuries. I am not claiming any validation of using one as I do, just my thoughts on the issue.

mazo kid said:
What did the NAs carry in their bandolier bags?

Bandoliers?? :blah: :rotf:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...Ok so I could, but didn't. :confused:

I think those are for delivering newspapers... the Moccasin Telegraph. :rotf:

Actually, those long strap bags are pretty late. The neck bags and short strap shoulder bags are shot bags.

Back