• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Original Rifle-Muskets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
True. I hunt with an original 1842 musket (1847 mfg.) and an original Colt 1861 Special Musket (1862 mfg.). I have shot many thousands of rounds through both, without any mechanical failure of any kind. I use the smoothbore for bird and small game loaded with shot, and patched balls for close range deer, just for fun factor. My Colt musket is my main big game rifle, mostly just deer anymore, and I just load it up with 60 grains of Goex FFFg (1040 fps) and a traditional 510 grain minie. My Italian guns, mostly Pedersoli, just won't last long without work, broken springs being a major problem. Strange to see 160-170 year old metallurgy superior to modern Italian stuff, but I can assure you it is true.
I love shooting my '42.(1851 date). Shooting at 100 yard targets, you can hear that minie whistle going down range.

Last edited:
I've been collecting and shooting original military rifles for my entire adult life, and nothing beats the real thing.

I'm trying to work out a deal for the 1861 on the N-SSA board too.....I may end up with 2 1861 Springfields but like I always say, you can never go wrong buying complete original US military weapons in honest, as issued condition. You'll never lose money on them if you pay a halfway sane price for them. Plus you get the satisfaction of shooting the bona fide, piece of history original.

I've owned many 45-70 and 50-70 original Trapdoors and shooting them, if even just occasionally, brought me so much joy .

I second that sentiment.

A man locally is selling an original 1861 in complete but "well used " condition. The bore looks ok.

People seem really hot on getting originals relined , but does anyone shoot them in their original form?

I DID. THE DANG MINIE BALLS, SKIRTED TO EXPAND WERE SURPRISINGLY ACCURATE THE ITTLE TIME and money I could devote to it.
It was an 1863 Springfield model made in Trenton. New Jersey. The bore as far as I could see had that same color brown we seek on the outside of our rifles, but o pitting. I lent it to someone on the understanding he would pass it on. I don't know how that has worked out.
He needed it for a US ML Rifle team event requiring original rifles.I din't know how that worked either. Out of curiosity I bought a Japanese copy so exact the parts were pretty much interchangeable. It shot exactly the same as the original
According to a book I also gave away, that rifle slug would go 6 inches into pine at a thousand yards
When you looked at the barrel alone it was much like a plumbing pipe. Wrapped around a mandrill end welded the entire length. It was not cast and drilled.
It had the H stamp etc.
The slug it fired would knock you down if someone threw it at you. I hardly needed to be fired from a rifle.
Dutch Schoultz

I DID.

It looks really nice, I don't know why bidders aren't all over that.

Maybe the bubble burst on original muzzleloading stuff , you can get an honest 1861 or 63 with a "strong, mildly frosty " bore for less than a Pedersoli repro of the same.

I just bought the '61 from the N-SSA guy or else I'd be all over it. I'll still watch it, if no one bids by tomorrow maybe I'll offer a layaway option to him.

My years of shooting old military "unmentionables " taught me to have no fear of a " strong bore with light pitting". Most of them still shot beautifully.

Forum Rule # 35

35: Do not post links to classified ads or auction items (yes, this includes the name of the domain and the item number).

Thanks for the heads up on that , I wouldn't have found it otherwise plus also the guy who shared the N-SSA ad helped that guy sell the rifle, to me

As long as it is in shootable condition and does not have a Damascus barrel, why not shoot it?

Allegedly antique arms that still shoot are worth a premium over those that don't.

Many years ago I found a .69 caliber (give or take) Confederate Issue smooth bore musket at a yard sale.
The guy I bought it from used it as a shotgun for duck hunting for ten years. (or so he claimed.)
I bought if specifically because it did still shoot. I used it for a couple years doing Civil War reeinactments.
(I never used it for waterfowl, deer, or upland game hunting.)

20190922_181714.jpg

I never fired my original P53 Enfield that was bored out to about .65, just looks too thin....

That enfield looks like a good candidate for a relining job by Hoyt or Whiteacre. My navy Plymouth rifle was the same way - bored out to smoothbore. Whiteacre relined it back to its original .69 rifled configuration.

Back