• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting a cap-n-ball into the wind

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ever notice the atomized lube put over the ball in the cylinder mouth, coating your shooting glasses and face when shooting a revolver into a good head wind?
Crisco is the worst so far, course I have not tried heavy axial grease yet. :rotf:

I try not to shoot my cap & ball revolvers into the wind when the loads contain any amount of cream of wheat or corn meal. The dust gets on my shooting glasses. Crisco does a poor job of what you put the lube on for. The first shot blows away 99% of it from the adjacent chambers. If you mix the Crisco 50/50 with real bee's wax in a double boiler, you will end up with an excellent black powder lube that stays put when the neighboring chamber discharges. It does a good job of lubing the entrance of the ball into the forcing cone and helping it center itself in the rifling. Enough of it will get onto the cylinder pin to facilitate cylinder rotation despite black powder fouling.

I'll have to give that lube recipe a try some time.
Right now I'm becoming enthused about my felt wads dipped in a black powder lube I use on my long range black powder cartridge bullets.
It is made of Bee's wax, Murphy's oil soap and Neatsfoot oil. Stays solid even when very hot and does a good job of lubing without the Crisco mess.

Lubed felt wads is the way to go. No mess on a hot day, you dont have to wipe your hands after loading a cylinder, and just more stuff to carry around. Nothing like seeing a partner pour out that funky lube from the bottom of his holster on a hot day, not to mention the stale smell of a leather impregnated holster.

Shooting a cap-n-ball into the wind

Words of wisdom stated a little more colorfully about doing something else into the wind.

Now that I'm a man of property, I seldom shoot at a public range. How often do you find ranges set up into the prevailing wind?

Have never used any kind of filler. No need to do so.
Used crisco once in 1978 as an over ball lube.
But wasn't windy that day.
Have used felt wads a lot.
But now mostly lubed Conical I cast.
And a Beeswax - lard (tallow) mix lube.
Have never noticed anything blowing back at me.
And here in Wyoming the wind is an almost constant event.

Use thin ( 1 / 8" ) lubed wads under ball, no grease over ball.
Lubes bore just fine with no mess.
Chain fires are caused at the nipple end of the cylinder.

Yep, been there, done that and got the greasy glasses to prove it. If it is on your glasses, it is also on your face and clothing as well. But, when you are having fun, you just wipe off your glasses and keep on shooting.

It's sort of like the old sailors admonishment "Never p*ss into the wind." :haha: :haha:

Yup, I had forgotten about having to clean that up as well!
I've got to get dry firing again daily.... got a thousand point match coming up next month.
Hope the wind isn't blowing in my face again! :rotf:

Dry fire and dry fire, it is all mental.

I have shot in to the wind where I could not see out of my scope due to the pistol crude on the scope.

Saw Keith in Phoenix, did not visit with him, to busy shooting, I shot my worst ever.

Had a nice time, even with shooting poor beats not going at all.

Huh, saw Keith at the gun show yesterday in Palmer. Spent a good 15 minutes talking with him and seeing how he is doing.
He will most likely help run the thousand point match next month. He's the one that reminded me about it.
I sure enjoy his character, jolly fellow and fun to be around. :grin:

Back