• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shipping and hazmat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the fee makes you buy in bulk / volume! more sales more profit. simple business rule, 101!
Or the fee discourages you from buying. Fewer sales, less profit. Or your apparently higher fee loses you a customer to someone else and possibly permanently. Less profit. Or the fee encourages you to buy in bulk from more efficient suppliers, and the smaller providers have fewer sales and less profit.

Take your pick. 😂

There are 7,000 grains in 10 pounds. 70 grains is a decent load in my rifle. So a $23.50 hazmat fee is distasteful but it is less than a quarter per shot. Having recently purchased ammunition for a couple of center fire unmentionables my flinter is a bargain even with the cost of powder and ball plus the fee and freight.

Yes sir, I well understand the 7k grains per pound. I've been loading shot gun shells for over 45 years and CF pistol and rifle for over 30 years.

Again, I was curious about hazmat charges and my curiosity has been satisfied. Apparently larger companies get volume discounts on hazmat too. I suspect in a few years we'll look back and talk about how cheap shipping was.

While I understand that as a sentiment, I don't view purchasing shooting supplies as a social experience. And I don't normally call anywhere any more to buy anything. :) 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
I normally don't call when buying something online but I had a question and needed an answer so I called and the owner answered. And I thought that was nice.

The hazmat papers are very short and easy to fill out. There are laws to tell how and where to load items that must be apart if a leak occurs or if cargo shifts .and actual costs are near zero. I worked for the airlines most of my life and knew the book inside out.
I know how the fee came about. A goon at UPS was loading a box of Federal primers and just tossed the box into the nose of the trailer, setting them off.. Their insurance rates went up so they started to charge fees. There is actually no other reason for the extra costs.
Federal was forced to change packaging and all other shippers seen the green in charging the fee.

A goon at UPS was loading a box of Federal primers and just tossed the box into the nose of the trailer, setting them off.. Their insurance rates went up so they started to charge fees.
Can you point to a description of this event? I'm seriously interested in the details. Thanks.

Do larger retailers get a break on hazmat fees? I just received 10# of Schutzen 3F from Grafs, $12.95 shipping and $23.50 hazmat.

I need percussion caps for a new build but in the end it may be cheaper to convert it to a flintlock.
The big shippers get a break and Tat some of the hazmat charge themselves.

Don't blame the same Guy as he has paid hundreds of dollars to even be able to ship Hazmat.

When I had ny shop I refused to pay to be able to ship Hazmat and refused to ship it. So don't badmouth the seller on those charges if he WILL ship them.

It ain't free guys way it is.

The big shippers get a break and Tat some of the hazmat charge themselves.

Don't blame the same Guy as he has paid hundreds of dollars to even be able to ship Hazmat.

When I had ny shop I refused to pay to be able to ship Hazmat and refused to ship it. So don't badmouth the seller on those charges if he WILL ship them.

It ain't free guys way it is.

No where did I badmouth anyone. It's really pretty simple, I asked a question, then used an example of what I had recently experienced. Nothing more, nothing less, PERIOD!

Back