• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sharon Rifle kit or Thompson Center

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This followed me home this weekend, it has a sharon barrel and what appears to be a thompson center rear sight. I am wondering if anyone can tell if this was a sharon kit rifle or if it was and early thompson center that received the sharon barrel. I have not pulled the lock yet to see if there is any writing on the back side.

Attachments

• 20240128_204917.jpg
    20240128_204917.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20240129_064107.jpg
    20240129_064107.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240129_064118.jpg
    20240129_064118.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240129_064158.jpg
    20240129_064158.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
This followed me home this weekend, it has a sharon barrel and what appears to be a thompson center rear sight. I am wondering if anyone can tell if this was a sharon kit rifle or if it was and early thompson center that received the sharon barrel. I have not pulled the lock yet to see if there is any writing on the back side.
I think you guys are right about invest arms it looks alot like this picture I found of one

Attachments

• 20240129_105626.jpg
    20240129_105626.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Those T/C sights were available in the late 70s and early 80s and maybe later. They were used for some so called primitive shoots requiring non adjustable sights. I put a set on my TC Hawken around that time and still use them. Some early Renegades may have come with them.

Investmentarms lock and stock, Thompson Center primative sight, I have one along with a blade front sight on my first T/C Hawken as I had a hard time keeping my adjustable sighted. Sharon aftermarket barrel, that's where the value is provided it's been maintained properly.

By the way, after filing in my elevation and making windage adjustments those T/C primative sights have held zero.

Investmentarms lock and stock, Thompson Center primative sight, I have one along with a blade front sight on my first T/C Hawken as I had a hard time keeping my adjustable sighted. Sharon aftermarket barrel, that's where the value is provided it's been maintained properly.

By the way, after filing in my elevation and making windage adjustments those T/C primative sights have held zero.
Bore looks good not sure how it shoots since I don't have any .440 bales yet

Many years ago I added a Sharon replacement barrel to on my TC Hawken .50. This improved my round ball accuracy
The barrel was very easy to clean.
Jim

This should be a keeper for sure. If the barrel has been taken care of it should shoot plum center for many years to come. I have one on my scratch built Hawken that I built in the mid 70's and it still shoots as good as I can hold it. I've shot it in comp. quite a few times. I'm sure I've put thousands of rounds through it.

I have a 50 cal Sharon TC replacement barrel…it’s slow twist and deep rifling make it a tack driving round ball shooter…. I suspect yours is an exceptional shooter also….

That modern TC mass production look didn’t suit me so I ditched the TC parts and kept that fine shooting barrel….about 40 years ago now.

Last edited:
Back in the late 60'-70s' I operated a muzzleloading shop in Idaho & became acquainted with Sharon via building custom guns with his barrels..
During that era Sharon produced & assembled Thompson Center components well before they marketed 'kits' & during his manufacturing process acquired stocks with small minor defects in the finnish.

I started marketing Hawken kits via adds in Muzzle Blast, the kits consisted of finished stocks with just small surface blemishes, all other components including the Sharon barrels were perfect.

As I recall after about 3 years T/C started manufacturing everything themselves or elsewhere, that terminated my TC kit venture.
Relic shooter

This should be a keeper for sure. If the barrel has been taken care of it should shoot plum center for many years to come. I have one on my scratch built Hawken that I built in the mid 70's and it still shoots as good as I can hold it. I've shot it in comp. quite a few times. I'm sure I've put thousands of rounds through it.
Is yous 45 caliber? If so what size ball and patch?

Good group. About what to expect from a good rifle and a Sharon barrel. What range?

Nice shootin. I can add to the quality and accuracy of sharon barrels. Me and my dad bought two matching 1x36 NOS .58 sharon barrels. I fitted mine to a ped. Tryon and it would shoot sub 2 inch at 100yd, unfortunately it was stolen. Still have my dads tho, still unfired.

Back