• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set trigger problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norseman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a problem with my set trigger on my Southern Style flintlock rifle. I set the set trigger (click), fire a round, BUT...after about the tenth round (click-set the trigger), fire a round (click) and the hammer doesn't fall. The lock is an L and R Durrs Egg, and L and R set triggers. What's up? I don't want to have this happen while hunting. It's driving me nuts.

Norseman said:
I have a problem with my set trigger on my Southern Style flintlock rifle. I set the set trigger (click), fire a round, BUT...after about the tenth round (click-set the trigger), fire a round (click) and the hammer doesn't fall. The lock is an L and R Durrs Egg, and L and R set triggers. What's up? I don't want to have this happen while hunting. It's driving me nuts.

I have a book on solutions this is what is says.
Check the L-shape detent in the tumbler. If it is broken or lost, replace it.
Or replace the lock. ( Book by Dave Ehrig )
Also it says to check the lock Mortise for rubbing. You may need to remove some wood to provide space for free movement of sear spring, tumbler, and mainspring.

It sounds like the fly is binding in the lock mortise, for some reason.It could be crud build up, or swelling of the wood, or it could be grease, or crud building up in the triangular shaped mortise.

Does this only happen after 10 rounds? Or does it sometimes happen sooner, or later? Have you tried backing that lock bolt out 1/2 turn to see if that doesn't resolve the problem? :hmm:

Hmmmm....thinkin' out loud now. 1) Check the trigger bar to see if maybe it is marginal as to height; if the sear isn't setting back into the tumbler notch completely the trigger bar may not be high enough/have enough impetus to kick the sear free. 2) Check the inlet as to sear arm depth; this does have a big impact on function. Also check tumbler mortise for signs of rubbing. 3) Check the fly inlet in the tumbler, although I would think that even if it was gunked up that the hammer/cock would move when trigger was pulled. Hope you find your problem; nothing worse than intermittent problems! Emery

Last edited by a moderator:
The first thing to try is decreasing the lock. The fly is a weak little thing and dirt and grease can stop its function very fast. I remove the lock and use Powder Blast in the spray can to spray the lock clean. :thumbsup:

The first thing I would try is to pull the triggers and tighten the rear screw that controls the tension of mainspring of the triggers a little. It should not take much. This will give the rear trigger more force when it hits the sear. The mainspring may be set to where it is has just marginal force to trip the sear.

Back