• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Set the 'Wayback Machine'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longshot47

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Digging around in the loft for something I probably no longer own I came across a box of old books which contained a few surprises including; catalogue #31 [antique firearms and edged weapons], from Robert Abels inc., Lexington ave., N Y. I vaguely remember ordering it,as a kid, back in the '50's. Geezh, if I had only.........
Anyway, all original stuff [b+w pictures], with descriptions and prices, i.e.,#404. 36 cal. rifled fine kentucky w/fine curly maple stock, ornate brass patchbox, 43 1/2" bbl.,60" overall, full stock. barrel marked with maker Jonathan Waite -$265. You want smooth; #425 fine flint fowling piece w/engraved lock. The mounts are chiseled and gilt. 42 1/2" elaborate barrel -blued and inlaid with gold, from muzzle to breech -animals, scrolls. Side plate is chiseled and gilt. Dates 1770 -very fine condition, museum piece -$300
On and on and on, -122 pages.
So near.....................and gone!
~Longshot

Yea, if only....

But I do remember that my Dad was feeding a family of 6, making mortgage payments and driving a good car on $65 per week back in the late '50s.

$275-300 was a bit of change back then. You could pick up a .45 auto or a Luger for $29.95 and a used Smith and Wesson M&P 38 would set you back around $20. Surplus .32 Barettas ran $12.

50s Heck...I look at what my father was making in the mid 70s and wonder how he managed a wife, car, house, kid etc. Anything near $300 even then would have been a pretty fair bit of cash.

John

Can you immagine what the next 20 years will bring? I don't see how the kids today are going to get along. I'll stop now because if I don't it's going to get political. Don't want that on such a fine morning!!

I went to high school in NYC in the very late '40s and used to haunt Bob Abels' shop at 860 Lexington Ave. almost daily on my way home from school--Saturdays too.

Bob was so patient; he had a constant stream of phone calls and correspondence to take care of, but always took time to answer my questions. I got one hell of a free education about collectables from him most of which I blithely ignored and suffered by the consequences).

He showed up totally unexpectedly some 30 years later at a local gun show, looking not a day older. I reintroduced myself and said, "If you don't remember me, I was the kid who offered to work there for free." He said, "You and about 5000 others your age."

Memories....

BJ

Okay, I'm out of it now..........

I guess the WAYBACK takes us all to different places. :wink:

Latest posts

Back