• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sergeant's Fusil or ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyman1903

32 Cal.
Reaction score
or at least that is one of the names I was told for this Flint I picked up years ago,

backstory,
I picked this up in an estate, with a couple of Flint pistols (they were modern props),
sold off the props, and kept this,

I was not sure if it was original or not, so I took it to a couple of Gunshows to see if I could get some info from the local antique guys,

no one would value, all wanted to buy it right then and now,,, (figured, since I knew a couple of them, it was legit and worth a bit more than they offered, but not sure)

anyway, one nice older gent told me what he thought it was,
his opinion is it is a Napoleonic Era carbine or fusil (his words) that was made for an officer or higher ranking enlisted Soldier (Sargeant).

he claimed the British did not issue the higher ranks a Bess or Musket, and they had to purchase their own,

no idea if he is correct or not on that, hence my post!!

the details,

looks like a short or shortened Bess to me,

barrel measures 28-1/4", bore is .71 (used a dial caliper)
stock is marked Woolley & Co behind the trigger guard,

Lock is marked Warranted behind the Cock, and Woolley Sargant & Fairfax on the lock,
the Woolley appears to be a different font than the rest

I had the lock off years ago, but do not remember anything about any

markings (guess I need to take down this thing again!)

it does have some proof marks on the barrel,

I have tried to find some info via Google and looking thru a few books I have on Military Weapons from that era, with out luck,
I have found some info by googling the seperate names on the lock,
a recent search found this, http://www.tortugatrading.com/engine/inspect.asp?Item=852&Filter=Archive
but it is a full size gun

seems WS&F was a contractor for locks? mostly pistols?

any ideas? thoughts?

Thanks in Advance!

pics

flint002.jpg

flint007.jpg

flint010.jpg

more pics here
http://s54.photobucket.com/user/chesterfieldarmament/library/Flintlock?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
From my limited knowledge of British proof marks,

They appear to be in line with "View" marks or, in-process inspection marks applied by the proof houses at various stages of the barrels manufacture.

The one nearest the breech looks like it could have a V or broadarrow mark at the bottom of the Sceptors.

The upper one looks to be the initials E on the left, C or O on the right and and F at the bottom.

Between the view marks appears to be a partial N or W(?) and SF.

Hopefully someone more learned than I can decipher their importance or use them to help date the piece.

Musket or fusil made by the gun trade for private purchase , post 1800 going by the photos :hmm: :)

Hi,
Woolley, Sargant, and Fairfax were in business in Birmingham only during 1829-1830 so the gun is not from the Napoleanic era.

dave

Dave Person said:
Hi,
Woolley, Sargant, and Fairfax were in business in Birmingham only during 1829-1830 so the gun is not from the Napoleanic era.

dave

thanks,

I had posted a question on the general muzzleloading section the resurrected an old thread and received those dates from David Minshall a few days ago,

looks like the gentleman that looked it over was off a couple of decades,,,

This is a quality made gun and not a run of the mill export piece :thumbsup:

hello

The punches of proof are the Bank of Birmingham, after 1813, crossed with the letters BPC and V. The absence of the word TOWER, letters GR under a royal crown, scepter and wide crowned arrow and the inscriptions on the lock, show that it is not a service weapon, and if a copy produced by private dealers to sell to the armies of other nations, especially in South America.

Affectionately. K. Fermnando Sorry for the translator

Back