• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seneca/Cherokee Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you heard of a Cherokee barrel being sold as a smoothbore? I have one that has no rifling, measures .456-460. Bore scope shows no signs of circular reaming/honing. It patterns quite well.

I never have but you probably could have had the T/C custom shop do it back in the day so anything’s possible.
Anything unusual in the barrel markings?

Have any of you heard of a Cherokee barrel being sold as a smoothbore? I have one that has no rifling, measures .456-460. Bore scope shows no signs of circular reaming/honing. It patterns quite well.
Interesting, I have a couple Cherokee rifles. I’m always keeping an eye out for any Cherokee barrels as I’d like one in 32. I’ve never seen a smooth bore offered. Can you post a picture of the barrel and it’s stamps?

.456-.460 is just about what you'd end up with if you reamed the rifling out of a .45 Cherokee barrel so, that's gonna be my guess, somebody had it reamed smooth.

No special markings

Attachments

• IMG_5108.JPG
    IMG_5108.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 0
Actually, there was some special markings but I had to know if someone knew if it was a factory offering. It now looks like it may have been a gift because of the special markings(I know...I said there wasn't any). Maybe a girl named Ivy?

Attachments

• IMG_5114.JPG
    IMG_5114.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5112.JPG
    IMG_5112.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5113.JPG
    IMG_5113.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 0
Nice barrel. Recently, I inexpensively picked up a .45 Cherokee barrel in which the bore was rusted and pitted. I picked it up for the breech plug but the idea of a a smoothbore is intriguing.

I am thinking of taking it up north for snowshoe hare. That is all close in hunting. Have wads inbound from Track. I had better than expected patterns using just craft paper

Back