• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Second rifle build completed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mah7039

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The stock is spalted curly maple, 1"x 36" 40cal Rice Barrel, L&R lock, sights and triggers, the butt plate and nose cap from Track. Followed TOW plans as close as I could, very happy with the color, I mixed the stain using aniline dye.

622528f5-9340-4b09-af1e-682259bd42dd.jpg

06d26c6b-656d-4d40-8be9-d1c58c81c299.jpg

image.jpg

Great looking gun! My son, Matthew, has her twin sister-built by Ed Parry from the same kit. Matt has harvested several deer with his--it's a track driver! Hope your results are the same!

bill :)

Thanks, all for the comments. I took it on a woods walk today and did not do so well. The L&R lock needs some work. The frizzen did not fly open all the way (some of the time) I tried a couple different flint sizes and oiled the roller on the frizzen spring but still not working right. I need to check the inleting to make sure nothing is rubbing in there. After that I may be taking the lock to Friendship at the L&R booth.

Which kit is that Mah? I am contemplating my first build and I would be pleased as punch if I could do half as well as you did with that beauty!

I would appreciate a follow up report on how you resolve the issues with the gun too. I hope that it's something silly and easily corrected!

The plan and most of the hardware was from Track of the Wolf, for the Fullstock Hawken . I bought the barrel from Rice Barrel Co. I made the pipes, toe plate and side plate. I've only heard good things about their pre carved stocks but mine was not pre carved. For me one of the hardest parts was inletting the dang tang! It had to be bent a few times, being a hooked breach, it was a challenge, for me anyway.
I hope I have the frizzen issues resolved. There was some evidence of the main spring rubbing in the lock mortise so I relieved that and I tried a different length flint. But the big thing I found was the frizzen actually fully opens but is bouncing back to the point I didn't think it was opening. Had to put a piece of paper on the frizzen spring and fire the lock, the paper has a mark from the frizzen but it goes back to almost closed.

Just got home from Friendship, took the lock over to the L&R booth, told them (Tim) about my problems and he put on a new frizzen spring. He also gave me a few tips on flint size and position to strike the frizzen. They were very helpful and the lock is performing very well now, flints are staying sharp and lasting longer.

Back