• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SCREW TIP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildeagle

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Here's some pics of a screw tip I just finished.I was wondering about coloring or staining? This is the natural color ( greenish ), I understand this is typical of beef cattle. Any ideas what to use,heat,dyes,acids??, or leave it as is.
scrtip4.jpg

scrtip3.jpg

scrtip2.jpg

scrtip1.jpg

nice horn....how deep is that staple at the front of the horn fer the strap :v ..............bob

i got Recreating The 18th Century Powderhorn book this week and it says to use rit dye boiled in water to stain

My experience with green horns is that they scrim real nice. These I'll sand down to 600 grit to get a baby butt smooth surface, do the scrim, and then give it a couple of coats of beeswax and buff it until you get a satin smooth shine. I like them on account not everybody has a green horn. On the other hand I saw an original green horn over at Golden Age Arms that was used and abused.Primitive scrimshaw(scratches more like)definitely a product of the backwoods.I have not tried the rit dye on a green horn but would be interested in the results. Either way you got a one of a kind horn! :thumbsup:

WB - If you look at the 2nd pic , the staple is as deep as where the threaded portion begins. I pre-drilled the holes a little smaller and angled them toward each other- slightly, hoping they would "pinch" each other. If I remember they are about 3/8" deep.

Jason- sounds like a cool book ,I'm always looking to expand my library. Stumblin Wolf has kinda convinced me of leaving it green. I would like to darken the throat and the engrailing though . Thanks for the heads up on the book, did you get it thru amazon?

Back