• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scottish Distillery Revives 184-Proof Whisky

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Story

40 Cal.
Reaction score
By JENNIFER PRICE, AP

LONDON (Feb. 27) - A Scottish distillery said Monday it was reviving a centuries-old recipe for whisky so strong that one 17th-century writer feared more than two spoonfuls could be lethal.

The process, carried out under the watchful eye of Master Distiller Jim McEwan, produces the most alcoholic single malt ever made. The whisky has an alcohol content of 92 percent, or 184 proof, and will retail for around $695.

Risk-taking whisky connoisseurs will have to wait, however - the spirit will not be ready for at least 10 years.

The Bruichladdich distillery on the Isle of Islay, off Scotland's west coast, is producing the quadruple-distilled 184-proof - or 92 percent alcohol - spirit "purely for fun," managing director Mark Reynier said.

Whisky usually is distilled twice and has an alcohol content of between 40 and 63.5 per cent.

Bruichladdich is using a recipe for a spirit known in the Gaelic language as usquebaugh-baul, "perilous water of life."

In 1695, travel writer Martin Martin described it as powerful enough to affect "all members of the body."

"Two spoonfuls of this last liquor is a sufficient dose; if any man should exceed this, it would presently stop his breath, and endanger his life," Martin wrote.

Reynier put Martin's test to the claim and consumed three spoonfuls.

"I can tell you, I had some and it indeed did take my breath away," Reynier said.

Bruichladdich, a small privately owned distillery founded in 1881, plans to make about 5,000 bottles of the whisky, which Reynier estimated would sell for about 400 pounds (US$695, euro590) per case of 12 bottles. Although whisky lovers can place their orders now, the actual spirit will not be delivered for about 10 years.

"You get a better drink if you wait because of the basic oxygenation through the oak barrels," Reynier said.

In the meantime, customers will be able to watch the whisky's progress on the distillery's webcams.

02-27-06 15:09 EST

Computers are a magnificent invention, capable of incredible usefulness. Watching whiskey age for the next ten years, probably isn't what Al Gore had in mind when he "Invented the internet". :rotf:

The wife and I will have to start saving our "pence" for the next 10 years so we can enjoy a spoonful.Or two...she who must be obeyed loves a good single malt and so do I.

PaulN/KS said:
The wife and I will have to start saving our "pence" for the next 10 years so we can enjoy a spoonful.Or two...she who must be obeyed loves a good single malt and so do I.
I'll stick to the stuff that was aged in the barrels BEFORE they are sent to Scotland. :blah: "Lem's Finest! :hatsoff:

gfihfb;hzsdfgjalh;halfkjdlfhgahgf.............me me me me me me mee meeeeeeee............smooooothe

:rotf:

Sounds outstanding, and would be quite a challenge! I do enjoy a fine single malt! I have a bottle of a'bunadh by Aberlour and it is pretty stout with 59.6% alc. content. Two of these almost put me under!

Kind of reminds me of my very own hot sauce that I've grown accustomed. If I ever decide to package and sell it, I will label it under the name Too Hot for White Man Hot Sauce! :redface: :shocked2:

Ten year wait, huh??!!

TexiKan

In the meantime, customers will be able to watch the whisky's progress on the distillery's webcams

There has GOT to be an Irish joke in there somewhere. "Why did all the servers just crash in Ireland?" :rotf:

Anyoneone know what ERIN GO BRY I belive its spelled,is ya it's Irish wickey. Ive had this jug some 30 yrs and my granddad before that..Ive got no idea how old it is but the white with bluesh words and cloverleafs crock has a bunch of little cracks. The spelling may be off but thats how it sounds. Fred :hmm:

Kid's stuff, now OTH, Alaskan pop skull is cranberry juice only slightly diluted with 95% (190 proof) Everclear.

Sounds to me like it wouldn't be all that expensive in the long run. You would only have to buy it once! After that just take a sniff (or 2 if you dare); it would be plenty, and the bottle could last 4 ever!

:rotf: :blah:

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Latest posts

Back