• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saw good sign today...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Hung a stand and freshened up the scattered natural brush piles around the base of the tree where I've hunted the November rut the past few years.

The stand tree is a big pine in a cluster of big evergreen holly trees on an oak ridge that runs along side of a big clearcut/overgrowth area...red oaks are dropping and being eaten heavily...doesn't look like the white oaks are falling yet.

The same two trails that come out of that thick jungle overgrowth area still have a lot of traffic and enter right into the hardwood ridge 50yds in front of my stand tree like they always have.

I didn't go any closer to the overgrowth area but in just quietly slipping around a couple acres on either side and behind the stand tree, there must have been a dozen trees with fresh rubs, one a 4"-5" cedar tree...so there's a good acorn crop and buck activity in that same area again...bedding in that overgrowth jungle.

Very lucky to have this little piece of heaven...I'll be there November 4th with the .62cal Flint smoothbore waiting for it to get light enough to see... :grin:

I'll bet it feels like November 4th will never come huh?I spent the weekend freshing up the brush in a couple of stands that I will be in on the last saturday of Oct.There's some ridges though I won't enter till hunting season and only then if the wind is right.
Close to 100 Degrees Farenheight yesterday afternoon in the woods.That don't feel much like hunting weather. :v

I'll be in S.C from the Sept 27->Oct 7th for the start of Muzzleloader season. I too can't wait !! My brother killed a nice 8pt on Friday and a management buck yesterday with his bow.

RB... you don't bow hunt anymore ??? (know nothing about the NC season) Do you have a early bow season ???

Slowpoke said:
RB... you don't bow hunt anymore ???
I did for about 10 years...bow season starts the Saturday after Labor Day...but I had to lay off a year for my sternum to permanently heal from a quadruple bypass in '99...decided to try my hand with a Flintlock for 2000 and been at it ever since.

Would rather shoot Flintlocks year round now until the rut gets here than go back into bow hunting...I never liked the heat of September and always switched to guns when gun season started anyway...never got any big bucks with the bow...lot's of does and a half dozen small 4's and 6's...everything is Flintlocks now.

queball said:
how do you tell the diff between red and white oaks>
Mainly the differences in the tree bark and shape of the leaves...red oak leaves have sharp pointed tips, white oak leaves have rounded tips.

roundball,
Sounds like your ready to go at it.
Sorry to say I will have to wait till Nov. 27th.
Good luck and be sure to let us know how you do.
snake-eyes

Roundball:

I find the pre-season preperation and scouting about, to be "nearly" as much fun as the hunt itself. Good luck this year.

snagg

snagg,
I agree with you on that....I do a lot
of my deer hunting preparation in the woods
while I'm squirrel hunting in Sept and Nov.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I wish we had a separate squirrel season here so I could get out and enjoy that during a pretty time of year, but it starts with deer season...and by the time that's wrapping up all the leaves are off the trees and they see you coming a mile away...

roundball,
Ohio squirrel season this year runs
from Sept 1st to Jan.31st 07 except during
the deer season. It's a great excuse to get in
the woods to scout for deer activity. Besides
I really enjoy eating those little critters,
much to Mrs snakes objections. :v
snake-eyes :hmm:

A story like that makes this old cat find a scratchin' post. I couldn't set out my tree stands due to bad weather last weekend. I've got the itch for the hunt, but gotta wait till Nov 1st. Hopefully I get'em hung this weekend if the weather holds.

Plus the woods are kinda neat this time of year.

Cat9

Back