• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Santa Cruz Mountains newbie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Bubba Daddy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Joined the forum a few days back. Just getting into black powder for the first time. Been shooting and hunting all my life. The past 10 or so years I have hunted mainly with longbows but have always wanted to go afield with a flintlock.

Picked up a used .50 Hawkins on GunBroker a few weeks back for a good deal I think, especially since I shoot lefty and have seen very few used left handed flintlocks for sale.

I posted in the accessories section for a show and tell of some powderhorns I picked up at an estate sale a week back, excited about those.

Would like to build a longrifle from scratch in a left handed flintlock some day.

Anyways, just wanted to say howdy and if anyone on here is in my neck of the woods, reach out and maybe we could shoot together.

Welcome to the group! I've noticed other members on here from Los Gatos and around the bay area. I am in Sacramento but my girlfriend lives in San Jose, and tomorrow we will be in Santa Cruz hittin the beach :thumbsup:

Big Bubba Daddy,
Welcome to the MLF. Does Jeff and Larry
know where you are at.Hope you visit and
contribute often.
I am snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Thanks everyone, looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hoping to get the chance to meet those in my area or traveling through, also always interested in meeting new hunting buddies. Hey if you hunt around these parts you have to stick together, I live in the land of :youcrazy:

I have a neat experience coming my way. I belong to a gun club in the are with a little private range. One of the patriarchs of the club who must be in his late 70's to 80's and has been shooting flintlock his whole life and has agreed to meet me at the range this coming week and show me the ropes and impart some knowledge, I feel honored to have the opportunity.

bubba,

wish i was in you area for shooting, but currently end up going to san leandro range for my target practice.

let me know if you want to do the "tour" - here is a map and list of bay area target, trap, and even machine gun (honestly, chabot allows BMG's with short belts :applause: )facilities in our area:
http://www.dragunov.net/bay_area_ranges.htm
25 Places to Shoot in Bay Area

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the camp, come on in and sit! The people here will learn ya every thing you need to know, just ask! I'm from down in the valley.

Thanks FJ, I will check it out.

Here's the flintlock I just got... my first BP gun :thumbsup:

Nothing fancy, she is an Investarm .50 cal I picked up used.

flintlock003.jpg

flintlock004.jpg

flintlock014.jpg

Back