• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sanding Stick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Several years ago, I came across some Sanding Sticks at the local woodworking store.

They had some which were 1/4 inch wide and some 1/2 inch wide ones.

These are one of the neat things you can buy that really help when inletting locks, triggers, barrels and breech plug tangs.

For those who haven't seen them, you might want to follow this link:
SANDING STICK

The price in the above link is outrageous and I am not suggesting you buy from them, but they do show what I'm talking about rather well.

I think several companys make these Sticks because mine are no where as fancy as the ones shown in the link. Mine only cost a few bucks each too but mine aren't "Hexagonel with finger rests".
I googled using woodwork+sanding+stick and got 160,000 hits so there are a bunch of places that have them (plus a lot of non productive hits).

The little sanding belts are fairly cheap and come in several different grits.

To use these, you push the back end forward and install the belt. Then sand. When the belt at the tip becomes worn, push the back forward and move the belt a little way forward. :grin:
Where these really come in handy is when there is a tight spot between the wood and the edge of a lock plate and you don't want to risk using a hobby knife to shave the few thousanths of wood off. Another place I found them handy was sanding the bottom of the mortice for my 6 inch long barrel tang. Yes, I know, a sharp chisel will do it too, but this sanding stick blends and fairs the wood into the adjacent wood so nicely it ends up looking like the builder knew what he was doing. :grin:

If you have a store in your area that specializes in woodworking, give them a call. They may have some of these things at a cheap price like the ones I found. :)

Thanks Zonie, I have one of these little guys and they do work great.
I picked it up some 2 years ago along with 3 packs of belts but I forgot where i got it from and was trying to figure out where to go to get new belts.

Craig :thumbsup:

i use tonge depressers or popcicle sticks, spray glue and different grades of sandpaper to make them to the size i need....just an idea............bob

I was at a flea market and picked up a dozen thin flexible steel pedicure nail files coated with industrial diamonds for a buck each. (gotta love them Chinese for some things) Talk about durable, and handy as pockets on a shirt.

Latest posts

Back