• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

San Antonio Area

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live near Canyon Lake. The White Smoke Brigade holds a monthly shoot on a property near Wimberley. There's also a rondy in the Spring and Fall near Shiner. Yearly membership is $5.00 and that covers both clubs. You can contact Jack Simons at [email protected]. Dietz Shooting Range is off Hwy 46 just west of New Braunfels. It pretty much caters to modern guns but I've never felt I was not welcome. Plus, the range is closed to all but paid members on Mondays and Tuesdays. I'm a paid member so it's usually me and the usual four or five other guys.
Welcome to Texas!
John

Welcome. There are some nice ranges in the New Braunfels area. There is also a club that gets together monthly in the San Antonio area for a shoot. Have seen the name in both Muzzleloader and muzzle blast magazine. I shoot both cap and flintlock, well still building my flinter. So that will be soon. Enjoy the area, there is a lot of fun things to do.

Not to highjack your thread but I too may be moving to Texas soon. My son and his wife live in Magnolia. NW of Houston. They’re having our first grandchild soon. I knew “grandma” wouldn’t want to be far away so now we’re looking for land near there. Texas seems to be a great place to live. Im a 6 generation Florida Cracker so I’m not sure I’ll be able to stay moved full time but I’m looking forward to meeting some new friends in Texas. I guess we’ll all be neighbors.

I guess we’ll all be neighbors.
Welcome! We hope you like it here!
Yeah, we all live just down the road from each other. 🤣
Kind of like driving from Jacksonville to the Keys.
Magnolia used to be a quaint little community. Now, it's the fastest growing area of The Woodlands. All the major chain stores, lots of new subdivisions, and lots of new traffic. But, go a few miles from Magnolia, and you're in the country again. Be sure to bring a basket-full of money.
As for your reason for moving, we're in the same boat.
Our first grandchild was born on the 1st, and now Grandma wants to move back to Fort Worth. 😁

Welcome! We hope you like it here!
Yeah, we all live just down the road from each other. 🤣
Kind of like driving from Jacksonville to the Keys.
Magnolia used to be a quaint little community. Now, it's the fastest growing area of The Woodlands. All the major chain stores, lots of new subdivisions, and lots of new traffic. But, go a few miles from Magnolia, and you're in the country again. Be sure to bring a basket-full of money.
As for your reason for moving, we're in the same boat.
Our first grandchild was born on the 1st, and now Grandma wants to move back to Fort Worth. 😁
Congratulations on your first. Yes the Magnolia area is growing like crazy. Reminds me of what’s happening to FL. Our plan would be to be closer to Brenham if we
can find something.
I figured there may be black powder shooters around Fredericksburg as we watched re-enactors there shooting in town.

So funny, Moving for the same reason, will be first grandchild and grandma wants to be in their life so we head south. Just got to pull everything together. Trying for a transfer, wife a too. We both work retail so my fingers are crossed.

Our plan would be to be closer to Brenham if we
can find something.
I figured there may be black powder shooters around Fredericksburg...
Brenham is a pretty area, and not developing as fast as Magnolia. Nice town, and lots of countryside. About an hour from Magnolia. Probably as economical as you can get, in these crazy times.
Fredericksburg is wonderful! I love limestone buildings, and that's what they have. But it's 4 hours away from Magnolia. And you'll need more than 1 basket of cash for something nice.
Good luck with your move, and keep us up to date.

Brenham is a pretty area, and not developing as fast as Magnolia. Nice town, and lots of countryside. About an hour from Magnolia. Probably as economical as you can get, in these crazy times.
Fredericksburg is wonderful! I love limestone buildings, and that's what they have. But it's 4 hours away from Magnolia. And you'll need more than 1 basket of cash for something nice.
Good luck with your move, and keep us up to date.
Will do. Should know more by the end of the month, at least I hope

This isn't really a warning but I'm guessing you may have heard (from your son) about some of the weird goings-on in Austin. They seem to be proud of their motto to "Keep Austin Weird".
Understatement for sure.
When city council votes to paint the crosswalks in rainbow colors you know it is going be so super liberal that it hurts.
I lived in Manor - just outside of Austin for a dozen years, stayed out Austin proper when I wasn't working....

Yes, that’s why I want to split the distance between Austin and San Antonio.
I'm in New Braunfels and a member of both the White smoke Brigade and Texas Free Trappers. There are a couple of reenactment groups that might be of interest to you. The Alamo of course, in San Antonio and also Presidio La Bahia in Goliad, which is also part of the Texas revolution but turned into a slaughter.
Send me a private email if you'd like more information.

I'm in New Braunfels and a member of both the White smoke Brigade and Texas Free Trappers. There are a couple of reenactment groups that might be of interest to you. The Alamo of course, in San Antonio and also Presidio La Bahia in Goliad, which is also part of the Texas revolution but turned into a slaughter.
Send me a private email if you'd like more information.
Howdy, question for you. Where do you get your powder. I have some that I got at Cabela’s, but from what I am learning that it is not the best for a flinter. Does ok in my percussion rifles, but everything I read say to use real powder, like schuston or Geox, which will be another year. Thank you.

Real Black Powder is a problem for me. I bought 2 lbs 3f at Midway about 6 mo ago. They didn’t have any 2 f. I use it in my flint smoothie. I use pyrodex rs in my Colt 2 band .58 cal and pyrodex p in my 1851. They are both percussion guns. Prefer 2f black. but no luck nearby.
Lately haven’t shot much since I’ve been having my smoothie rebored and just now getting it put back together. Maybe we could go in on a order so we could split the hazmat fee, it can be mixed a most who sell by the case.
Thanks for checking in with me

So far, and I’m glad, all positive things heard about the San Marcos area and all of Texas. For the life of me never expected to end up down there.
Worst case scenario if there’s not a lot of folks who ML in the area, Ill find a range and smoke it up.
We are in the San Marcos area and it is great rolling hill great rivers. In the middle between Austin and San Antonio.. we spend winters here from Nov till May.

Latest posts

Back