• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Samuel Colt 1854 Rifled Muskets "Russian Contract"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is likely the first time three extremely rare Colt 1854 Russian Contract rifled-muskets have been assembled together since the Civil War. Two are model 1816 muskets, but the third is a must model 1815. These muskets are missing from some of the most advanced musket collections, so it's an absolute privilege to have enough to stack arms.

Originally contracted by Russia to compete against the British p1851 Minie Rifles creating havoc on Russian soldiers, Samual Colt was asked to deliver 25,000 rifled muskets. He bought surplus m1815 and m1816 muskets and rifled them, converted to percussion with a "Colt's Patent" bolster, and then added a Russian style rear sight. The Crimean War ended before delivery could occur, and Colt was left finding a new buyer for these arms.

In comes Giuseppe Garibaldi and the Italian War of Independence. It's believed that all these arms made it to Italy, or at least a majority before their final destination becomes murky.

Some evidence suggests that these were bought by some Rhode Island militia companies, but there is some anecdotal evidence suggesting Southern use. But for all intent and purpose, these things just vanished during the scrap drives of two World Wars, use, and attrition.

Estimated production to be around 25,000 with about 15 remaining survivors according to Dr. Madaus- one sold by Tim Prince two years ago that originally popped up at Cowan's auction house before, 3 in museums, two privately owned, one sold by the Horse Soldier that belonged to a 21st VA Inf soldier, and now this one.

One recently sold at Rock Island Auction from the George Moller collection for 4k. However it had glaring construction issues that did not fit in well with known examples.

Attachments

• received_653177979821802.jpeg
    received_653177979821802.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 14
  • received_3433217063622333.jpeg
    received_3433217063622333.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
I love the forgotten, oddball weapons like this. If not for this post I'd have had no idea Colt was basically refurbishing surplus muskets to sell to Russia.

There are lots of fascinating conversions and refurbs, and the stories behind them are neat. The Roberts Conversions where Gen. Roberts patented a Trapdoor system and his own round, the .58 Roberts and paid private contractors to convert the entire arsenal of surplus muzzleloading .58 Rifle-Muskets in the New York State Militias armory to trapdoors. Then the NYS guard didn't want them so he sold this odd smattering of Trapdoor converted P53 Enfields, 1855 Springfields etc to South Carolina who used them until almost WWI. Weird firearms history is fascinating.

Very nice rifles.

The rear sight/leaf design is very similar to the Dutch Beaumont rifle rear sight that emerged 15 years later.

A lot of design pilferage going on back then.

The Russian 1891 Mosin-Nagant is an exact theft, I mean copy, of the German 1888 Commision Mauser.

Attachments

• R.jpg
    R.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
The intricate rear sights of some of these weapons was always interesting to me

In the 1880s , The US Ordnance Dept adopted the Buffington sight which was ironic, because at that time I still think Marksmanship Training was limited to 20 rounds per year per man, or something like that but they put finely adjustable target sights that are virtually useless as a "combat sight" on the later Trapdoor variations because of some weird historical fact I can't remember right now.

Plus, even us as muzzleloading enthusiasts with at least a passing interest in history, we usually just stick with the "condensed " version of weapons development history we learn as kids from reenactors and books, and based largely on reproduction firearms.

We don't know about and often overlook the odd "transitional" designs or reworks , or just things that different countries or State Militias used to keep existing weapons viable without paying for new weapons.

Like the Forgotten Weapons video I just saw of the Mississippi rifles converted with this bizarre breechloading mechanism. I couldn't believe that could be made in the 1850s-60s but it was.

Those rifles have a storied history for sure. They were well travelled, I've always read that many were indeed purchased by the South from Italy.
Weapons went all over the world , it's interesting .

I just read yesterday about rifle makers in Birmingham using wood from Italy during the Civil War because there wasn't enough wood in England to stock the 100's of thousands of P53 Enfields being cranked out by the commercial gun makers. I'm thinking, the irony comes full circle, all the "rifle snobs" complaining about the "cheap Italian wood" on the Euroarms Parker-Hale rifles but it's more historically correct than anyone really knows

The story about the Remington made Mosin M91 rifles is neat, and they ended up being used by American Expeditionary Forces in 1919 when they went to help the White Russians. Weird weapons history is always fascinating

I still need to know how Confederate Sharps rifles ended up in Nepal 😃 no one will ever know probably

It will take a lot more than International Military Antiques' "research" to convince me there were ever any Confederate made Sharps found in Nepal. There is no doubt that some strange Sharps showed up there but I doubt they were manufactured in the South during the war. IMA has some very creative copy writers. The following quotes are from IMA's sales blurb tor the Nepal Sharps. At least the sales pitch doesn't begin "Once upon a time".

"How about this speculative scenario:"
"Then suppose"
"So let us suppose"

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...type-slant-breech-carbine?variant=25652562565
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-...3-type-slant-breach-rifle?variant=25652563397

It will take a lot more than International Military Antiques' "research" to convince me there were ever any Confederate made Sharps found in Nepal. There is no doubt that some strange Sharps showed up there but I doubt they were manufactured in the South during the war. IMA has some very creative copy writers. The following quotes are from IMA's sales blurb tor the Nepal Sharps. At least the sales pitch doesn't begin "Once upon a time".

"How about this speculative scenario:"
"Then suppose"
"So let us suppose"

https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...type-slant-breech-carbine?variant=25652562565
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-...3-type-slant-breach-rifle?variant=25652563397
It sounds like IMA is the new Bannermans 😃

Just basically implying that everything is Confederate

IMA's "optimism" aside, though, basically anything that could have happened did probably happen at least once. The whatever State Guard unit that arrived in France in 1918 carrying their 45-70 Trapdoors , like, uh oh , we're gonna need about 3,000 rifles in 30-06 for these guys.....how did you make it this far with those old antiquated things?? It happened

In 2007 when I was deployed in Iraq, we found Vietnam era M14's in our arms room TriCon with wood stocks that looked like they were beat with hammers. I signed for one and we took it to the Zero range to shoot some delinked 7.62 through it. It was barely functional but it fired in full Auto for half a mag before it jammed. They were just in there I guess for 21 gun salutes and no one worried about them, and the arms room guys just kept signing off on them in inventory because it was easier than asking why they were there? I don't know.....And I used it for one shift of Gate Guard before my squad leader found out and told me to stop being an "idiot" and made me put that piece of "manure" back where I got it or I'm gonna get smoked until my ---- fall off (edited for family friendliness) So I tell people that I had a Vietnam Era M14 in Iraq and no one believes me.

Old and Odd weapons are lurking in dark corners in arms rooms and arsenals all over the world. I wouldn't be shocked if some out of the way National Guard armory still had a stand of Krag rifles pushed into a corner.

Wow, I can't believe I had never heard of these before. Super interesting!

Very nice rifles.

The rear sight/leaf design is very similar to the Dutch Beaumont rifle rear sight that emerged 15 years later.

A lot of design pilferage going on back then.

The Russian 1891 Mosin-Nagant is an exact theft, I mean copy, of the German 1888 Commision Mauser.

From what I remember, this type of rear sight was used by the Russians as far back as 1843.
original.jpg

And I would say the Mosin was more of a copy of the M1879 Hotchkiss than the Gewehr 1888
mosin-hotchkiss-bolt-1-jpg.852769

Latest posts

Back