• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

salt & pepper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerald

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What the best thing a person can use for a salt and pepper shaker that would travel will

gerald

Mix them together and put them in a small priming horn. It's about the only good use for a priming horn.

I would use the heavy glass shakers with lids that screw off the top. Remove the tops and cover
the shaker with plastic wrap and screw the top back on. Sealed very nicely. :hmm:
snake-eyes

I've made a salt horn and a pepper horn. I also carry whole peppercorns in a little leather bag.

I used to mix my salt and pepper together...but I also carry garlic salt for my meat.

I ended up splitting them again, there's times I want more salt and times I need more pepper.

I carry a small poke with sea salt and peppercorns. there are spice venders who'll sel you authentic boiled salt, but you'll need to check outr the bigger events for that.

Flyboy, just taking a good guess here but I think Skagan is talking about salt thats had the moisture evaporated out of it. Such as water from a salt lick or sea water, they would collect the water and continue to boil it until the water evaporated away n left the salt crystals in the pot. Takes a whole bunch of water n boiling to get just a little bit of salt. Most salt operations went on for weeks at a time to get a decent quantity of salt.

Small hollowed out deer horn with a cork, mixed salt and pepper inside carried in the possibles bag. Sure makes squirrel on a stick taste better.

Back