• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saf-T Unloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2Barrel

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Saf-T Unloader silent ball discharger ? If so, does it work ? I see some shops on the net have them and some shops have them discontinued. Just thought I'd ask sombody on here before I bought another piece of junk ....

You talking about one of the Co2 dischargers? I bought and use one from Cabelas. They do have their uses and one lives in my range box for sure. The only problem is the Co2 cartridges don't last more than a couple of shots.

I bought one for just in case, haven't needed it so far. My neighbor borrowed it, he bought a T/C Renegade and it had either been loaded and sold loaded. We weren't sure if it had powder or not. But was definately a ball in the barrel. He used my C02 discharger and it worked great. He took it in his garage and shot the ball into a laundry hamper filled with rags. The neighbors weren't the wiser. I was outside and didn't hear it either.........

Agree, they are outstanding...I only use mine at the range when "I'm testing for emergency dry ball removal"...only get about 3 discharges per cartridge like Swampy mentioned. But I use a regular ball puller at the end of a days hunt back at the house.

Caution: Watch the muzzle...the unloader will discharge a ball with significant enough force to hurt someone, dent a car, break a window, etc...a box of old towels on the floor is handy.

I found a place on the Internet that sold a bulk box of 30 of the large 14gram cartridges at a much lower price than buying them through main suppliers...30 for $35 bucks or something like that. They come with the bottle nose end threaded or unthreaded...the safety unloader uses the unthreaded type cartridges.

The adapter nozzle to fit a vent for example is outrageously expensive...$10...and usually none come with the unloader itself, so you have to remember to buy one when you buy the unloader.

I can tell you that for the first time in my entire shooting life... a very long time, I had the need for one. At a blackpowder shoot this past spring, I had a stuck ball. I couldn't finish seating the ball, and neither could my brother. We tried a couple of things as well as some stern finger wagging and muttering under our breath (thought cussing).

We had the extreme good fortune to be shooting the trail walk with Grey Whiskers. He produced one of those gizmos from his bag. And two squirts later, my barrel was cleared. I was able to finish the trail walk thanks to him. It made a believer out of me. It is cheap insurance, and saved my weekend of shooting.

I just ordered one from Cabela's. I also ordered the adapter kit instead of the single adapter. I want to be prepared for someone who might have the same problem I had. Sort of pay it forward. So, I can assist someone no matter the type of ignition system. I hope it will never come to pass, but when I needed a bit of help, Grey Whiskers was there with the answer.

Grey Whiskers, if you read this, thanks again. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the replys. Sounds like a great gadget. I dryballed my rifle two weeks ago and had a heck of a time with my ball puller. I was cussin and red faced and sayin words I didnt even know what they meant. Anyways thanks. I have one on the way.

I think they sell a box of 10 or 12 extra Co2 cartridges. You'd be wise to have one of those on hand and stored somewhere. Trust me, when you need it the cartridge in the unit has a habit of being empty.

Dittos here. Have used it twice. Real glad to have it. As stated above, have extra CO2 on board as they run out quickly.

i have used my shop compressor and a blow gun to unload my trade gun after unsuccessful hunts . it saves me a wee bit of scrubbing the pipe down . probably the same idea as this unloader thingy . yep the neighbours dont even hear it go off

The Saf-T Unloader works great. However, mine is only about 2 years old and requires 16 gram cartridges (very hard to find around here, I have to order online or go to Cabela's only). Another club member has had one for over 10 years. His uses 12 gram cartridges (same as those paint-ballers).

Anyone know where to get a 12-gram unloader, or can you effectively use 12-gram cartridges in the 16-gram unloader?

redriverclerk said:
The Saf-T Unloader works great. However, mine is only about 2 years old and requires 16 gram cartridges (very hard to find around here, I have to order online or go to Cabela's only). Another club member has had one for over 10 years. His uses 12 gram cartridges (same as those paint-ballers).

Anyone know where to get a 12-gram unloader, or can you effectively use 12-gram cartridges in the 16-gram unloader?

I use 12-gram cartridges in mine. It came with a 16-gram cartridge, but the 12-gram ones work fine.

On a side note, it looks like these are going to get harder to find. I was just on the manufacturer's website, and it looks like they've been discontinued.

Ive seen on alot of websites that they are being discontinued. Wonder why. Seems to be a good product ?

The Saf-T Unloader that I have will take the 12g threaded, the 16g threaded or the 16g unthreaded. I've had good luck finding the cylinders at the local dive shops fairly reasonable, normally about $1.25 each. They're the same ones used in the snorkeling inflatable safety vests. Another place is a bicycle shop. Emergency flat repair kits have them.

Here's a link to RMCSPORTS.com:
http://rmcoxyoke.com/catalog.htm

They are offering the EC Unloader (CO²) 16 gram "gun" for only $10 on "close-out" which includes a flintlock adaptor and one 16 gram CO² cartridge (unthreaded)... and they are offering the 16 gram cartridges for only 99¢ each and so, I bought the EC Unloader and 10 extra CO² cartridges for a total of $20... a great deal!

So far, I've used the first cartridge 3 times and it has worked perfectly... and I've gotten a LOT of gratitude from the fellas on whose guns I've used them.

BTW, one of the rifles was a percussion capper... and my flintlock adaptor worked just fine on it as well as on the flintlock rifles.

I'm hoping that if I ever need any more CO² cylinders, I will be able to put a block of wood (or something) inside the CO² Unloader and sit a 12 gram cartridge that Wally World sells cheap in place of the 16 gram cartridge, but that may never come to pass since the 16 gram cartridges seem to be readily available and the new, replacement EC Unloader also uses 16 gram CO² cartridges.

Jus' my 2¢... :wink:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back