• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sadie update.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
So after looking at many 54's decided to keep the CVA 54 Big bore, ordered a new tumbler, out of S & S in NY, was the first range trip after the repair. All shoot's were taken at 50 yds from a rest. load was 80 grs. of Elephant brand 2FFg, 18ths pillow ticking, lubed with moose milk, the a nice big spit on the back side to help keep the fouling soft, found that the Elephant brand is a bit dirtier, but only have a pound, it was part of the whole sell down of an older shooter cleaning out the back stock., Moved it a bit to much first shoot @ 12, then pulled # 2. Have the rifle set for front trigger only, its for a late season hunt and the set trigger is way to lite for me and gloves, so popped off the trigger guard, added a bit to the front trigger, then found another ankle bitter, someone had over tightened the screws in the trigger guard so some more repair to do. But all and all dang happy, next time out 100 yds and 90 grs. Change my loading in so much, as to clean the barrel first, with WWS fluid, then fire to caps then a dry patch to start, no miss fire's at all, clean hard hit caps, and watery itchy eyes with the cotton woods in full bloom wasn't helping matters. She looking good.
20220717_191856.jpg

glad i am not alone in the itchy eyes from cottonwood fluff! but am sorry that you suffer from it also.
yeah, who is s&s?
It's a gun shop parts supplier in NY state. They have them thumbers. stock!

Last edited:
Elephant may be (I guess it is) lousy BP but the way things are currently I'd be happy to get it. I burned quite a few pounds way back when I bought it at the LGS. I've never burned a black powder that wouldn't push a lead ball out of the muzzle. Elephant killed deer and performed okay on targets. I never chronographed it as the speed was irrelevant in my opinion.

@hanshi I agree on the speed not being all that important. OTOH, I'm a consummate fiddler and experimenter.

In addition to being the dirtiest powder and the slowest it also had the higher mass weght of a specific volumetric quantity compared to the others.

I still have a couple cans. I bought several one-pound cans of Elephant from a local dealer years ago and shot most of it in my Colt style revolvers and it did fine.I still have some put back; it reminds me of a free-er time in America when President Reagan raised the individual possession limit of black powder from 5lbs. to fifty pounds; a boon to civil war artillery crews who had previously been obliged to smuggle enough powder for a weekend shoot.

I tried Elephant FFFg powder many years ago, just like I tried Pyrodex. Mainly used Goex powder as it was the most easily obtained powder. Now, Schutzen powder has made its way into my inventory. I had to try the different powders to be able to answer questions from newbies. They want to know the differences to be able for them to make the decision of which powder was best. I tried to steer them to black powder and away from the synthetics.

Back