• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ranger report CVA Mountain Rifle Blondie

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtman725

The Last Best place, MT
Reaction score
I've picked up 3 CVA Mountain Rifle, in various stats of repair. This one was the worst, it had the under rib and thimbles welded into place, yes welded ! And he was using 30ths Denim as patching, bore was neglected, so off it went to R.Holt to go from 50-54 1-60 twist.I am very pleased with how it came out, no safe queen but she shoots, lesson to self when shooting two of the same Caliber bring more patch's. 65 Grs. of Elephant brand BP, Remington #11 caps, OX-YOK patch 18ths. Moose milk lube my own blend. Couldn't be happier with how it came out.

Attachments

• 20220616_092108.jpg
    20220616_092108.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I've picked up 3 CVA Mountain Rifle, in various stats of repair. This one was the worst, it had the under rib and thimbles welded into place, yes welded ! And he was using 30ths Denim as patching, bore was neglected, so off it went to R.Holt to go from 50-54 1-60 twist.I am very pleased with how it came out, no safe queen but she shoots, lesson to self when shooting two of the same Caliber bring more patch's. 65 Grs. of Elephant brand BP, Remington #11 caps, OX-YOK patch 18ths. Moose milk lube my own blend. Couldn't be happier with how it came out.
Doesn’t feel great when a plan comes together?

That’s some really good shooting!

The ramrod pipes on the CVA Big Bore and standard Mountain rifles are each held on by one tiny screw. They aren’t really very secure. I’ve been considering soldering mine on, but welding is not a bad idea, provided it is neatly done. I’m guessing a previous owner got tired of his rib and thimbles coming off, and decided to take care of the problem once and for all!

I had heard Mr. Hoyt would not work with CVA barrels because of the way they are breeched. It’s good to know that he will.

Thanks for showing your rifle!

Notchy Bob

He told me when we talked that they were tricky to get out. But he sure can make a old one like new.

Elephant Powder, I still have 3 or 4 tins of that that I bought back in 1997. Haven`t seen that stuff for sale in years. Nice gun , I have the .58 and love it now I have it shooting right.

That’s some really good shooting!

The ramrod pipes on the CVA Big Bore and standard Mountain rifles are each held on by one tiny screw. They aren’t really very secure. I’ve been considering soldering mine on, but welding is not a bad idea, provided it is neatly done. I’m guessing a previous owner got tired of his rib and thimbles coming off, and decided to take care of the problem once and for all!

I had heard Mr. Hoyt would not work with CVA barrels because of the way they are breeched. It’s good to know that he will.

Thanks for showing your rifle!

Notchy Bob
Silver solder is what is used in the Hawken Shop rifles for the ramrod thimbles, I’d suggest that over welding.

If one has a TIG welder and some small electrodes, I cant think of a negative reason visa vis welding stuff to the barrel. Now if he used a stick welder... chuckle.. thats another thing all together...

That’s great, I’m working on one of my mountain rifles today, I’m smoothing and browning the rpm lock I installed on the rifle a few weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back