• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rusty bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosinRob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Every time i clean my guns after a range trip, a couple days later its all rusted. what the heck am I doing wrong? After shooting,I go home and mop with warm water and little soap. then cva foaming bore cleaner, then froglube. Any idea's? rusting cant be good. Heres a pic, i cleaned this gun two days ago. thanks guys
2012-09-10_23-07-03_707.jpg

Are you sure your getting all the moisture out? I use soap and warm or hot water. Dry patching it WD40. Seems to work for me. After all WD is for Water Displacement.

You have rust that's started.
Once rust starts the game changes.

Dump the froglube and begin useing a petroleum gun oil.

Gun Oil. It's been working at keeping rust away from guns and gun bores for 100yrs.(or more)

use CLP or WD-40, a very large number of the forum members here use either with great success.

i use WD-40 and have no rust problems.

Could be a lot of factors at work there. Not an endorsement for Frog Lube. I have never used, looks like I never will. Where do you live? Is it a high humidity area? Do you store your rifles in cases? That's a no-no. :nono:
Switch lubes, I'll endorse WD-40 but there are a lot of other good products out there. RIG, Ballistol, CLP, etc. Some even use products like Vaseline, transmission fluid, motor oil. Whatever, you do need to try something different.
If you keep in a cabinet or safe consider a moisture absorbing product like a dessicant.

Rifleman,
Why is is a no no to store guns in cases? Are you talking the hard shell plastic cases lined with foam only or are you including the soft cloth cases also?
I ask because I keep my best rifle in a cloth case when it is stashed away.
Would hate to be ruining my best gun due to ignorance on my part.

Storing rifles in cases allows them to sweat, Air cannot circulate around the firearm to dissipate moisture from temp changes.

I clean my rifle using hot tap water and a drop or 2 of dish soap, after cleaning I use hot water to rinse. I then dry patch until no moisture is present on the patch, then oil with remoil, or RIG if I am storing for a long time. My rifle is then stood muzzle down in my gun room till the next day. I then swab the barrel with an alcahol patch and re-oil, then place in my safe muzzle down. The day before I want to shoot/hunt, I swab with an alcahol patch, then I load when I get where I am going.

IMO cleaning a barrel with water is kind of a double negative, however that's my opinion and lots of people use water and it works for them. In reality no matter what you use if you "completely" dry the barrel out and follow with an oil after cleaning you should not have rust in your bore. WD-40 has worked for me very well, never have tried the stuff you are using but like said before the rust has already started so you should look into some better oil...

cynthialee, if ya wanta leave yer gun in a "case" buy ya some of the $5.00 gun socks available at yer friendly wally-world. or get'em at yer gun guy's shop with his cool logo on'em. they're a stretchy knit case that is just what it says-it's a sock for yer gun. they're all cotton & treated with silicone. have used'em for years & no rust on my guns. for what it's worth & have a good'en, bubba.

Rifleman1776 said:
Could be a lot of factors at work there. Not an endorsement for Frog Lube. I have never used, looks like I never will. Where do you live? Is it a high humidity area? Do you store your rifles in cases? That's a no-no. :nono:
Switch lubes, I'll endorse WD-40 but there are a lot of other good products out there. RIG, Ballistol, CLP, etc. Some even use products like Vaseline, transmission fluid, motor oil. Whatever, you do need to try something different.
If you keep in a cabinet or safe consider a moisture absorbing product like a dessicant.
I live in NJ. Humidity can be high sometimes but not by the guns. They are in a safe with a safe dehumidifier thing.

The people who use wd40, you are using that as your cleaning agent? Like shoot, come home. Use wd40 and that's it?

I have several pairs of some really long tube socks that my brother left behind last time he was here. They got converted to 'gun socks'. One over the butt and one on the muzzel. They cover almost the entire gun. Every one of my rifles is 'socked' away.
:grin:

MosinRob said:
The people who use wd40, you are using that as your cleaning agent? Like shoot, come home. Use wd40 and that's it?
heavens no!

soap and water, patches on a jag
91% alcohol to help remove the traces of water after cleaning and drying
then the wd-40 after things are good and dry

cynthialee said:
Rifleman,
Why is is a no no to store guns in cases? Are you talking the hard shell plastic cases lined with foam only or are you including the soft cloth cases also?
I ask because I keep my best rifle in a cloth case when it is stashed away.
Would hate to be ruining my best gun due to ignorance on my part.

Yes, plastic cases but also other fabric types. My experience wool is the worst for capturing and holding moisture. I have several, really attractive, wool cases. And that is the best I can say about them, attractive.
Other materials might not allow ventilation so I take a broad, safe approach of never-never. :nono: . There is product on the market, actually made not far from me, that is synthetic but breaths and is (claimed) to be safe for long term storage. I use for transporting to shoots only.

MosinRob said:
Rifleman1776 said:
I live in NJ. Humidity can be high sometimes but not by the guns. They are in a safe with a safe dehumidifier thing.

The mystery deepens. Still, try something else.

What Necchi said,

"You have rust that's started.
Once rust starts the game changes."

Your situation is very much like what happened with one of my guns in the early days. It got left out, leaning against a tree all night, out of sight out of mind. It was dirty too. It rusted in the bore badly. I could never stop it from rusting after that. Once the rust thing got started that was the end of nice clean white patches. I replaced the barrel eventually, now no problem.

Many on this forum say to not use petrolium products in the bore. I do use petrolium based gun oil these days and don't have any of the problems associated with it and I DON'T HAVE RUST in my guns either.

Yes, I learned the hard way not to store guns in a hard padded case. Had a $1000 gun (not a ML) rust in a case, it was clean when it went in, rust on the receiver and barrel a couple months later. Now I only use a case when I'm transporting my guns. And no gun sits anywhere without being checked and re-oiled for a couple months any more (or even one month!), whether I shoot it or not.

Well I kicked the froglube to the curb. Even emailed them with the problem. They gave me the run around and even said some times there product is best used with additional oils or grease's. So im pretty ****** at that. But I went shooting on Thursday and put about 20 shots through her. Took her home and flushed her with water, then a little soap in a bucket of warm water. Mopped the bore till water and patch were clean. Then used the cva foaming bore cleaner for a hour. After the hour, used some ballistol and swabbed the bore. After that i sprayed some seafoam deep creep in(wd40 but better) and that's it. I cleaned the hammer and other parts as well. Took the barrel out today and looked down it. Shiny and no rust. Ran some patches and no rust as well. So I hope it stays. Thanks for the help guys.

Latest posts

Back