• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roundball Weight Consistency Check

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yes ... too much time on my hands, but it went really fast, weighing better than 15 RBalls per minutes on my electronic (non-PC :winking: ) reloading scale.

I thought the varation was pretty consistent, taken Lots A & B were different boxes from the same lot. Can't wait to plot a different lot!

:hatsoff: !

H440RB-Weights.jpg

I'd say that's pretty impressive manufacturing quality control...other than the occasional box of Speers I might find at a bargain, Hornady is the ball I use, and specifically the .440 in my .45's...so I certainly appreciate your efforts and the sharing of results
:bow: :hatsoff:

Mowrey,

Those are good results. I was suprised a few years ago to find over 5 grains difference in a box of Speer R/Bs. I had always assumed that swaged balls were better than cast.

I started casting and found about a one and a half grain difference after culling any that looked wrinkled, etc. I haven't bought any swaged balls for some time. Maybe they are making them better now. :hmm: GW

FYI ... just found this analysis I did last winter on one lot of 500 50cal swaged roundballs from Buffalo Bullet Company.

BB490RB-Weights.jpg

The histogram shows a pretty much normal distribution for such a mfg process.

Latest posts

Back