• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really started out just to get information about round balls because there was no information about cal. Then I was was asked what size I had and some wanted certain sizes, then I was asked how much and i had no idea. And I haven't got them all sorted and measured yet. So when I get that all done I will make a listing in the for sale forum. I really didn't know if anyone would want them. So I am sorry for how this happened.

Interesting, Griz; I'll shoot any ball I can patch and get down the bore. I guess I'm a cheap date. :dunno:
That's what she said....
BTW: Like you if it's round, lead, I'll send it down range.

I shoot a lot of lead from guns other than muzzleloaders.
Using a too soft or too hard lead that is not in line with the hardness-pressure curve can cause severe leading - from over plasma melt over obituration of soft lead to gas blow-by cutting on lead that is too hard.
I have shot lead bullets from my K-91 at close to 2350 fps with no leading (using 24+ BH and adding a gas cap on the base).
In a 45-70 softer lead works fairly well, but the same hardness bullet in a 45-110 will leave heavy lead in the barrel - it's too soft to handle the excessive pressure.
I can shoot a pure lead 45 conical from a muzzleloader but the exact same mold casting a bullet for a 45ACP will lead the bore - it needs to be 8.5-11 BH and it will function perfectly with no leading. I don't like having to de-lead a barrel and make every attempt to avoid it - by using the right hardness lead for the application.
I would agree with you on lead and hardness.
But, you are talking muzzleloaders, and high power CF's. Apples and oranges. Round balls mostly used in ML's.

I really started out just to get information about round balls because there was no information about cal. Then I was was asked what size I had and some wanted certain sizes, then I was asked how much and i had no idea. And I haven't got them all sorted and measured yet. So when I get that all done I will make a listing in the for sale forum. I really didn't know if anyone would want them. So I am sorry for how this happened.
Just to let you know.
On a muzzleloading forum: if it's lead, bullets, accessories, or muzzleloaders....it's usually going to go pretty fast....especially balls and lead.
BTW: welcome to the forum.

I would agree with you on lead and hardness.
But, you are talking muzzleloaders, and high power CF's. Apples and oranges. Round balls mostly used in ML's.
Maybe comparing Red Delicious and Granny Smith but muzzleloaders can have the same issues.
Mostly I agree with you - yes, but it would surprise you how many muzzleloaders shoot conical for big game hunting - and conical in cap-n-ball 6 shooters.
Ask @Howie1968 how many big hogs he has taken with his .58 big boar TC with conical bullets. Or @Idaho Ron hunting pronghorn.
Those loading heavy bullets (not ball) with very large powder charges in .58 and up caliber guns can generate pressures high enough to warrant a little harder lead.
I had some leading with Minnie's in my .58 Kodiak double rifle with 130gr charges so I upped the hardness to 8BH and it went away.
When I shoot balls in that gun I use soft lead but they are wrapped with linen patches and loaded on 95-100 grain charges so I get no leading.
I have not determined or found any data on what pressures actually are for these loads, but a bit harder lead did cure the issue.

Maybe comparing Red Delicious and Granny Smith but muzzleloaders can have the same issues.
Mostly I agree with you - yes, but it would surprise you how many muzzleloaders shoot conical for big game hunting - and conical in cap-n-ball 6 shooters.
Ask @Howie1968 how many big hogs he has taken with his .58 big boar TC with conical bullets. Or @Idaho Ron hunting pronghorn.
Those loading heavy bullets (not ball) with very large powder charges in .58 and up caliber guns can generate pressures high enough to warrant a little harder lead.
I had some leading with Minnie's in my .58 Kodiak double rifle with 130gr charges so I upped the hardness to 8BH and it went away.
When I shoot balls in that gun I use soft lead but they are wrapped with linen patches and loaded on 95-100 grain charges so I get no leading.
I have not determined or found any data on what pressures actually are for these loads, but a bit harder lead did cure the issue.
Actuall I have shot conicals with an acura and several other inlines. I know what your saying. Plus I have an 1847 Walker .44. Fun as hell to shoot. My youngest has take quite a few Oklahoma hog with a .50 flintlock and a .50 percussion....dropped them where they stood. I don't shoot minnies, but most of my muzzleloading shooting basically compares to yours. Anyway, you get what I was trying to say also. We're good friend.

Actuall I have shot conicals with an acura and several other inlines. I know what your saying. Plus I have an 1847 Walker .44. Fun as hell to shoot. My youngest has take quite a few Oklahoma hog with a .50 flintlock and a .50 percussion....dropped them where they stood. I don't shoot minnies, but most of my muzzleloading shooting basically compares to yours. Anyway, you get what I was trying to say also. We're good friend.
Yup -good to go, just more great information for the fine folks here on the system.
I would also be willing guess that those "others" mention above were shooting those fancy conical bullets with plastic surrounding them. That does change everything.
(Yup - I have a few of those too.....)

Yup -good to go, just more great information for the fine folks here on the system.
I would also be willing guess that those "others" mention above were shooting those fancy conical bullets with plastic surrounding them. That does change everything.
(Yup - I have a few of those too.....)
No, actually never shot a sabot....Not allowed to use them for hunting in Colorado Muzzle Season.

Just to let you know.
On a muzzleloading forum: if it's lead, bullets, accessories, or muzzleloaders....it's usually going to go pretty fast....especially balls and lead.
BTW: welcome to the forum.
Thanks ML48

I have 47 round balls in 69 cal I don't need anymore. .691 dia. and weigh 485gr if you still need them.

Back