• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Round 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackley

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Haven't been out in the woods hunting again but I just lost another round. Went to the state trap shoot, and the weather there was not good in the three days winds gusts were up to 60 mph, temps in the low thirties. And I shot real bad.
Then this mourning I wake up to 2 inches of snow and their calling for 5 to 10 inches more.
But to make matters worse there's a big fat tom in the front yard and the dogs put him up in a big pine tree out there. I wouldn't snipe him there, I like hunting to much. So the turkey's have won one more round. He did have a 8 or 9 inch beard and maybe even a double.
So I lost another round with the wind, snow and turkey's laughing at me. But when the weather break's I'll be ready for another round.
GEDC0273.JPG
Jerry

Lol, I hear ya on not shooting the treed tom. When I was in our North country, there were many times we had ruff grouse right around the home. These were always safe, no matter how good they taste.
Walk

I hear you on he wind. We had winds around 18 gusting close to 40 all day on the opener this past Saturday. They gobbled their heads off until the wind started howling then they all went quiet. My buddy texted me this morning, he has off from work this week so went out. He managed to call in a hen who checked out his decoy before moving on. Only luck he's had thus far. I'm stuck working until the weekend.

Hunting ethics in practice.

Shooting a turkey in a tree would be like shooting ducks on the water, just should not be done is the way I was raised.

Hunting ethics in practice.

Shooting a turkey in a tree would be like shooting ducks on the water, just should not be done is the way I was raised.

True, however if its not illegal, I will not fault the person who chooses to take one out of a tree. I personally wouldn't do it, but to each his own. I've shot pheasants off the ground and had the same argument tossed at me.

Third times the charm!! Good Luck!!

I'm hoping to get out a few more times if I can. I got a tip on some birds today but no time to go to the woods until maybe next week!

True, however if its not illegal, I will not fault the person who chooses to take one out of a tree. I personally wouldn't do it, but to each his own. I've shot pheasants off the ground and had the same argument tossed at me.

Florida has a confusing rule about shooting turkeys in a tree. To paraphrase it, it says shooting turkeys on the roost is prohibited but doesn't actually state shooting them out of a tree is illegal. So, if the turkey flies up to a tree in the middle of the day, is it legal to shoot it?

It's double-talk like this that gets hunters in trouble.

meats only good when its in the pot, isnt that is what it should be all about. saw turkeys two days ago 3 miles from my house, when they walk into my yard one is going into the oven.

Latest posts

Back