• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rogers & Spencer .44 Army: Possibly the Best Civil War Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The best revolver that was hardly issued , and kept in arsenal storage until the 1900s .

I always wondered why they weren't issued during the Indian Wars

I really like these things and have been able to acquire a few over the years. They are very reliable and not prone to fouling, I assume because of the cylinder's gas ring. Some people seem to object to the fact that most were not issued during the time period. My feeling is they were produced during that time and reportedly some made it out and used. Regardless, this is a reliable, accurate cap & ball pistol. What's not to like?

I should have bought one when Dixie had the London Grey models, I don't know why I never did

The R&S is like the Remington 1863 "Zouave ", they were top quality, well made firearms that were hardly issued , and remained in storage

I love how the article says "out of 5,000 delivered, 4, 982 were sold to Bannermans" so 18 grew legs and walked away over the years 😄 I'm surprised it wasn't more

If any were actually "issued " I'd be surprised, I think more like, procured or appropriated by a "I know where there's crates of revolvers if you let me get a bottle of that Bourbon " Quartermaster Sgt

About 30 years ago I saw a brand new London Gray model at my favorite Muzzleloading shop(Dixon's) and always regretted not buying it. Just this year I was in the same shop and there on the same shelf was a used London Gray. A little neglected maintenance wise a more than I wanted to pay, but my wife said "listen stupid, its only money, its your birthday and I'll buy it for you"! I guess I made the right decision marrying her. The gun cleaned up fine and is a good shooter.

About 30 years ago I saw a brand new London Gray model at my favorite Muzzleloading shop(Dixon's) and always regretted not buying it. Just this year I was in the same shop and there on the same shelf was a used London Gray. A little neglected maintenance wise a more than I wanted to pay, but my wife said "listen stupid, its only money, its your birthday and I'll buy it for you"! I guess I made the right decision marrying her. The gun cleaned up fine and is a good shooter.
Many years ago my wife did the same for me with a Merwin Hulbert I’d been admiring. We’re both married to smart women. Don’t screw this up!

She's a keeper 😀

My girlfriend even says , this is your hobby, if it makes you happy buy whatever you want

I HAD a London Grey model that I bought from DGW but foolishly sold to a friend 20+ years ago...Which he still has and refuses to sell it back, mostly because he thoroughly enjoys messing with me! I did pick up a blued version a few years ago, which mostly sees use with a conversion cylinder, although I do still occasionally take it out with the percussion cylinder. Although the grip is large, overly flared & kind of wonky feeling IMO, I consider these Euroarms Rogers & Spencer's to be second only to the ROA quality wise...They are simply outstanding revolvers.

My Euroarms Rogers & Spencer is indeed a top-notch revolver. Hands down the best stock trigger pull I have ever experienced on any reproduction. The only negatives for me are: 1) the tiny pins on the loading lever are somewhat hard for my numb fingers to manipulate to release said lever and, 2) there are no safety notches or pins between the nipples, which prevent it from being carried safely with all six chambers loaded, not that I really foresee myself doing that as I am only a target shooter. Other that these issues, what's not to like?

I think it's important to recall during the Era of the R&S Cavalry troops got the Lion's share of revolvers. And the Saber or sword was still issued and they were mounted horseback, so the revolver was to be used by the left hand.

The R&S I handled was a bugger to cock one handed. I can only imagine being horseback using my weak hand to cock it with my mount at a gallop.

Perhaps reports back from testing (the 18 guns maybe) as to its shortcomings led to it not being issued.

Just a hypothesis, nothing more.

I think it's important to recall during the Era of the R&S Cavalry troops got the Lion's share of revolvers. And the Saber or sword was still issued and they were mounted horseback, so the revolver was to be used by the left hand.

The R&S I handled was a bugger to cock one handed. I can only imagine being horseback using my weak hand to cock it with my mount at a gallop.

Perhaps reports back from testing (the 18 guns maybe) as to its shortcomings led to it not being issued.

Just a hypothesis, nothing more.
It could be that, maybe an Ordnance Dept Officer just didn't like them....

I believe Sam Colt had passed by the time the R&S was delivered, but it could just be typical Govt palm greasing where whoever took over after Sam Colts passing made some contributions to ensure no other revolvers saw any use and the next order for revolvers were for Colt 1860 Armies

It happens in current times......HK produced a superior rifle for the US military that fit on existing M4 lowers.....magically the idea was buried over some nonsense like the HK cost $14 more per unit and Colt got a contract for 200,000 more M4 carbines. Sometimes these things are helped by campaign contributions

"Stick those Roger's and Spencer things in the back of a warehouse somewhere and make sure they're forgotten about, and Colt will make a sizable donation to the campaign fund....."

I should have bought one when Dixie had the London Grey models, I don't know why I never did

The R&S is like the Remington 1863 "Zouave ", they were top quality, well made firearms that were hardly issued , and remained in storage

I love how the article says "out of 5,000 delivered, 4, 982 were sold to Bannermans" so 18 grew legs and walked away over the years 😄 I'm surprised it wasn't more

If any were actually "issued " I'd be surprised, I think more like, procured or appropriated by a "I know where there's crates of revolvers if you let me get a bottle of that Bourbon " Quartermaster Sgt
Is the London gray a stainless steel one. Are there any stainless steel reproductions?

It could be that, maybe an Ordnance Dept Officer just didn't like them....

I believe Sam Colt had passed by the time the R&S was delivered, but it could just be typical Govt palm greasing where whoever took over after Sam Colts passing made some contributions to ensure no other revolvers saw any use and the next order for revolvers were for Colt 1860 Armies

It happens in current times......HK produced a superior rifle for the US military that fit on existing M4 lowers.....magically the idea was buried over some nonsense like the HK cost $14 more per unit and Colt got a contract for 200,000 more M4 carbines. Sometimes these things are helped by campaign contributions

"Stick those Roger's and Spencer things in the back of a warehouse somewhere and make sure they're forgotten about, and Colt will make a sizable donation to the campaign fund....."
Have you tried to cock a R&S one handed? Imagine being shot at on a horse and getting it done.
It's a fabulous C&B revolver on the firing line, but that's not what the military needed when battling raiding Commanches and Apaches.

One wonders how the Remington revolver got approved? More graft and corruption?

A great design and a great fighting arm are not always the same thing.

Have you tried to cock a R&S one handed? Imagine being shot at on a horse and getting it done.
It's a fabulous C&B revolver on the firing line, but that's not what the military needed when battling Raiding Commanches and Apaches.

One wonders how the Remington revolver got approved? More graft and corruption?
I've never fired a R&S, the solid frame revolvers don't get my blood pumping like my Colts of various flavors

Remington sold a very small number of revolvers when the war started, and then was pretty much the only option after the Colt fire, so they got an order . No doubt some graft or envelopes full of cash were involved but it was also a case of, the Ordnance Dept going with the option available for revolvers

In my opinion, revolvers were low on the list of priorities for the US Ordnance Dept, wars aren't won with revolvers, they were backups for Carbines for Cavalry troopers and symbols of rank for Officers used for defense in close combat.

Rogers & Spencer received a contract for 5,000 revolvers at $12 each on 11-29-1864 and delivered between 1-30-1865 and 9-26-1865 which meant they were too late to be issued. They went to the Washington Arsenal and the entire lot was finally sold to Bannerman in 1901 which would mean that none were issued for use in the Philippines. No palms were greased to keep them out of the market nor were any greased to see that they got a contract. The history of R&S during the war and their connection with the Pettingill, which they manufactured, and A. T. Freeman is interesting and somewhat convoluted.

There was an original "brace" of R&S revolvers sold at one of those auctions like Cowan's etc that was supposed to have 100% provenance as being used in the Civil War. That leaves a very small period of time for someone to obtain 2 of those 18 and actually carry them and they would have only used them for the last months of the war. I'd still feel like they were sketchy because faking stuff like that was common when they were sold as surplus. That would need to be some airtight provenance to claim to own 2 of 18 that dissapeared from storage

Back