• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA Nipple wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austringer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, any one know where I can get the nipple wrench for my ROA - or even any wrench that will fit corrctly? Also need a source of spare nipples (stainless)

Thanks

Tony W

Tony W said:
Hi, any one know where I can get the nipple wrench for my ROA - or even any wrench that will fit corrctly? Also need a source of spare nipples (stainless)

Thanks

Tony W

Dear Mr W - according to Midway, they have them in stock although the manufacturers have discontinued them - they are, however priced like platignum at £3.82 EACH, plus shipping. And knowing Midway they'll charge you shipping on EACH item. Might be cheaper just to buy a new gun, unless you have a handy cousin in the USA - Midway USA only want $3.09 for the same item, BTW.

The wrench is not a problem as I have two, but any small metric socket set will also have the size you need - 5mm. However, Dixie Gun works also have a replacement wrench - part # NW0708 - cost: $6.50.

tac

Tony W said:

Thanks

Tony W

Wouldn't surprise me if Ruger sent you one free just for the asking. If they charge, it won't be much. House of Muskets, Track of the Wolf and others have nipples for the Ruger.

I've used a 1/4 inch, quarter drive socket. With as popular as ROA's are in your neck of the woods local shops don't stock them? Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek makes replacements.

steve

Toots said:
I've used a 1/4 inch, quarter drive socket. With as popular as ROA's are in your neck of the woods local shops don't stock them? Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek makes replacements.

steve

Uh, the OP lives in the UK. It's not as though there is a Ruger dealership in every village, town or even city.

My local gun-dealer has a few ROAs still in stock - all new - but when I called up to see about bits for our friend here, I was told that they have to be ordered from the SOLE importer, Viking Arms. Now Jeremy there is as helpful as he can be, but the delivery trail for Ruger spares goes all the way back to the USA.

The other Ruger dealer that I actually know of is 120 miles north of me - or 840 dog-miles - for a reasonable comparison with the distances between American Ruger dealers....

tac

I'm aware of the dog miles, living in Lordsburg, NM. Can you get bits shipped from your sole importer? Leaves the dog miles to the shipping company. It must not be that simple.

steve

Hi tac,
Thanks for the input - I am using a 5mm socket at present, but it seems abit loose fitting. Also, I am a little fastiduous and like to have original parts and equipment. That,s probably why my gun collection has cost so much and I am so poor :wink:

I missed the UK bit. :redface: Sorry.
Do you know Squire Robin? He is in your side of the big pond and is a member here. Wouldn't surprise me if he has one.
Shipping from here to you can be a hassle. But getting a proper wrench and set of nipples might be well worth the extra bother and cost.
I'll wager there aren't many ROAs on the island. You are a lucky bloke to have one.

Tony, I realize you are in the UK but if you can get your hands on a 3/16" nut driver, it will fit the original Ruger nipples perfectly. I used one for years until I replaced the Ruger nipples with Treso nipples.

Hi Tac,

I can find no mention of ROA nipples on either Midway site, but I did find a nipple on Dixie at $5.75 each - about £3.70. Perhaps the Midway ones are under another name i.e they are for another make but will fit the ROA??

Rifleman1776 said:
Do you know Squire Robin? He is in your side of the big pond and is a member here. Wouldn't surprise me if he has one.
Shipping from here to you can be a hassle. But getting a proper wrench and set of nipples might be well worth the extra bother and cost.
I'll wager there aren't many ROAs on the island. You are a lucky bloke to have one.

Considering the level of handgun shooting here, and the number of shooters [growing every year by 10%, BTW], I opine that the couple of thousand ROA's over here is a pretty impressive number. Over in my local dealers this morning there are seven for sale, too.

Sure, the OP might just know Squire Robin, but to me he is just a name on a website - this little island has around 60 million people on it. It should come as no surprise that we don't all know each other. :idunno:

In general, folks don't talk about their shooting interests unless talking to other folks who shoot. You could live next door to somebody for years, as I did, an they might never know that you were a shooter.

tac

I lived on your "little island" for three years. I understand how folks might not know each other. I was hoping the shooting fraternity might be fairly close knit however. But, you can send him a private topic from here. The 'net bring folks together. :)

tac said:

Hi Tac,

I do not know why, your links work on both sites, but I cannot navigate to that page from the start!! Anyway, both list them as discontinued and so not available to order, only add to a wish list which I suspect could be a long process??

Thanks any way for all your time and patience with an illiterate like myself

Last edited by a moderator:
tac said:
Rifleman1776 said:

Considering the level of handgun shooting here, and the number of shooters [growing every year by 10%, BTW], I opine that the couple of thousand ROA's over here is a pretty impressive number. Over in my local dealers this morning there are seven for sale, too.

Sure, the OP might just know Squire Robin, but to me he is just a name on a website - this little island has around 60 million people on it. It should come as no surprise that we don't all know each other. :idunno:

In general, folks don't talk about their shooting interests unless talking to other folks who shoot. You could live next door to somebody for years, as I did, an they might never know that you were a shooter.

tac

Yep your right|! I do not know squire Robin!!

There are lots of ROA for sale at dealers and on the web - mainly due to the fact that Handgun ownership in the UK is prohibited, and the only exceptions(for normal mortals anyway) are for Deer Stalking (euthanasia) and Muzzle loaders(target shooting on approved ranges) Even then they can only be held on a Firearm Certificate which you have to jump through hoops backwards to get

Tony W said:
Handgun ownership in the UK is prohibited, and the only exceptions(for normal mortals anyway) are for Deer Stalking (euthanasia) and Muzzle loaders(target shooting on approved ranges) Even then they can only be held on a Firearm Certificate which you have to jump through hoops backwards to get

Well, not exactly, else you and I could not have our Ruger Old Army revolvers, or, in my case, my Super Redhawk, albeit in the form that our US friends here would laff at. And of course, if we lived in Northern Ireland we could have ANY kind of handgun we wished, as THEY told the Westminster gubmint to go pound sand when the ban took place on the big island.

Funny enough, I've had a firearms licence here in UK since 1967, and never had any bother, no matter how many times I left the UK to serve abroad, and came back with a scad of guns.

tac

Dikd you get a wrench? I found one for you. Caverat is: I boughta Ruger Old Army used. It did not come with a wrench so I got one from Ruger. It did seemto work well and I went immediately to using a nut driver. I had to try several nut drivers to find one I liked.

If you want the wrench Ruger sent, send me some kind of address. I guess if it gets confiscated on your end, it will be no big loss. I'll mark it a 'wrench' and maybe that will avoid questions about it being munitions accouterments.

Hi,

Thanks for the thought - another member on this forum has already very kindly sent me one, and so I am fixed up.

Back