• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ROA .36 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richard,

We'll have to compare photos. My .36 (9 MM?) Ruger Old Army was purchased from my friend, Lynn last year. With his Ruger Old Army, he won the NMLRA National Pistol Championship in 1997.

I believe his national records still hold. He migrated from muzzle loading pistol to "Bullseye Pistol" Competition at Camp Perry. He is among four NC "Tarheel" pistol shooters that have attained NMLRA's "Distinguished Master" ranking (shoot at least a 925/1000 at the National Championship, three years, not consecutive).

His ROA revolver was custom-built by Tom "Mulie" Ball, well-known by older N-SSA shooters. I believe the sleeves are stainless steel in my cylinder. It has a Bo-Mar adjustable rear sight & Bo-Mar Patridge front sight. Trigger has a trigger-stop inside Ruger trigger return coil spring. Stocks are Herrett checkered walnut.

I seem to recall at the NMLRA National Matches, pistol competitors could use round ball or conical. Lynn's load was 16 grains of GOEX FFFG and Hornady 148 hollow base wad cutters. Those wad cutters made it easier to score.

I use Hornady .360 swaged round balls and 18 grains of Schetutzen 3FG, coupled with cream of wheat filler and T/C's 1000 Plus Lube.

I won the Cap-Lock Agg in '93 at Friendship in the Expert Class with my .36 Yazel; 290-12X/300. With my 50 yard score of 93-2X, I beat 23 Master shooters, including the national champion. I was on "cloud 9" all the way back to NC on the way home. I used my .36 caliber Yazel.

I miss not going to Friendship anymore, I shot on the pistol line there from 1986 through 1999. Became a Master shooter in '96. Glad to see NMLRA develop a High-Master class for competitors.

You're doing all the right things to be a better pistol shot. Best two books for serious aspiring competitors are:

1) " The Pistol Shooter's Treasury" edited by Gil Hebard. All this chapters in this little book (available from Amazon) were written by men that all had one thing in common...... They won the NRA national pistol championship at Camp Perry. Play close attention to chapters by "Mr. Pistol", Bill Blankenship.

2) "The US Army AMTU Pistol Marksmanship Manual", now available online to download. Can put you to sleep,reading.

Dry fire your pistol(s) facing a blank wall. Watch to see if your sights move when hammer strikes nipple. Switch nipples between dry fire and live fire sessions.

Buy a good quality pneumatic air pistol like a Daisy model 747 with a Walther barrel and adjustable trigger. Shoot a 60 round session with H&N match pellets at a ISU air pistol target hanging on a Outers bullet trap sitting at 10 meters.

We have to be careful about talking about Yazels, Lightnings and Lewis pistols. We got into a discussion about a year ago here about "Zip Guns", and Dennis (the Moderator) got after us (rightly so) for discussing non-traditional pistols.

My back-up Ruger Old Army is the .44 caliber "Dragoon Model"; brass back-strap & trigger-guard, square-back trigger-guard, Super Blackhawk grip frame. Ruger only made them a few years.

A great website for aspiring competition pistol shooters is the "Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol" (http://www.bullseyepistol.com)

The principles learned in NRA Bullseye Pistol Competition carry over to NMLRA Pistol Competition. Many of my friends at Friendship in the '80's & '90's were retired NRA pistol competitors, veterans of Camp Perry.

If anything in this post is outside the guidelines of proper discussion rules, the moderator can edit this post rightly so with no objection from me.

My concern in giving advice in this discussion to aspiring shooters is that serious muzzle loading "bullseye" pistol competition shooting seems to be declining. The number of pistol competitors at my last year at Friendship in '99 was about a hundred. I heard last year they had about fifty.

There are a few gunsmiths at Friendship that have been converting ROA's to .36 caliber.

Everybody still awake? :yakyak: :wink:

Buck Buchanan
Field Rep-NC
NMLRA

"ACCURACY IS 99% CONCENTRATION", Bill Blankenship, seven times NRA National Pistol Champion 1960-1969.

Back