• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ROA .36 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishDFly

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen one ROA in .36 and have heard of them in various places. I finally found one in Phoenix.

They were made by Chris Hagemann who no longer is able to continue building pistols. They come in .36 shooting a .360 ball with a Shilen 9mm match barrel.

He took a stock ROA, replaced the barrel, sleeved the cylinder, honed the trigger, installed a trigger stop and replaced the standard Ruger sight with a custom rear sight. I changed the grips to rubber Hogue to match my other ROA.

This weekend I decided to shoot it.

At 25 yards I shot a 95-2X.

At 50 yards the 1ST shot was a picture perfect 10-X. I shot the next 4 shots and checked the target and it was 50-2X. I loaded 5 and decided I would not look at the target until I was finished. Nerves kicked in, the monkey climbed on for the ride and I finished with a 93-3X at 50 yards.

All shots are one handed and offhand, no rest.

If you ever find one, buy it, it's the perfect revolver for line matches.

I am still using my Canon A-1 and too cheap to buy a digital camera, I have been putting money into better pistols, not cameras.

I was a told long time ago you have to have confidence in your pistols and I have been upgrading them this year.

Unfortunately a lot of the top pistol builders are quitting for various reason. and you have to search out like new used ones.

I found a Lewis flintlock 40 and a Yazel 45 this year. I shot the Yazel without practice in Phoenix and did well. The man makes one of the best percussion unlimited pistols there is. I did not shoot the Lewis in Phoenix as I chose to shoot my primary flintlock, will be going to the Lewis in the future.

I bought the ROA 36 before the awards in Phoenix, I will be switching to it, nothing wrong with my ROA in 44, but the .36 is going to be a winner.

Oh, the guy I shoot next to in Phoenix has a digital camera and he takes a picture of each target he shoots and down loads it to his computer with his scores. Camera is on the list for major shoots from now on.

Now if I can get my wife to post my targets, take a picture of them, post a new target and turn them in I would have the Vanna White of the range. Nope, not going to happen and I am not going to ask either.

How did he sleeve the chambers? I just had my Walker converted to 36 by sleeving the chambers and sleeving the barrel to 375

I do not have any idea how he did it. I do know the sleeves are not stainless, they are a different type and color of metal and you need to clean the pistol PDQ after shooting. He used standard Ruger hexagonal nipples, 12X28, for CCI #11 caps.

It' called a .36 because it shoots .360 balls but technically it could be called a 9mm because the barrel is 9mm. I was given an old Lyman single mold from the quality days of Lyman.

The barrel has been radically altered in profile and quite a taper to it and the barrel is blue, not stainless.

The barrel was pressed into place, like all other Ruger's, Uberti barrels are screwed into place.

It does not have a loading lever, you have to use a revolver loading stand.

To be on the board in the High Master class you have to shoot in the 95 range at 25 yards and 85 at 50 yards consistently to be in the top 3 of a match.

If I can shoot 95-2X and 93-3X with the pistol the first 2 times I believe it is possible of shooting 100s with the right Master Shooter using the pistol.

Sometimes you luck into finding a pistol which is a winner and you have major confidence in.

Through a person selecting me pistols this year I have found the three (3) pistols that I need to improve with.

Will do, I really have good feelings about this pistol, it's not cheap, but the workmanship is outstanding and there will be no more by the maker in the future.

What I am learning is if you find a custom made BP pistol today, buy it.

The master builders are quitting as they are getting older and the market is shrinking and new folks are not entering it.

Some times a person is lucky, thanks.

It is a nice pistol, it is joy to shoot.

I like revolvers, not sure they like me.

You seem to do quite well, better than most of us. I'd say the revolvers can't have much against you.

And if they do you are gifted at bending wills!

Actually I dry fire 3 times a week for 30 minutes, I shoot a modern rimfire each week (50 rounds or 5 targets) and shoot a nice air pistol 3 times a week. I rarely shoot BP pistols as I am lazy.

The best way to improve your pistol shooting is reading, I have a good library, dry firing and an air pistol.

Becoming a better pistol shot is mental. When I was learning to fly fish I was told it's mental and you can practice your casting in the bathroom in front of the mirror

If you need a good book to read send me a PM and I will give you the title and where to get it.

GoodCheer said:
Now I really want to get that 1858 .36 converted to .41. :shocked2:

Interesting, most pistol shooters are going down in size, lots have wrist problems, .36 has become the caliber of choice for line shooters. Currently I am shooting 2 40s with 2 36s waiting in the wings to come out.

I shot next to one shooter who was shooting .22 balls and conicals and using 6 grains of powder. Talk about a pound of powder going a long way.

.41, sounds interesting.

Used $30. digital cameras of today will put your old A-1 to shame. I bought a Panasonic digital at a pawn shop, with 30 day money back guarantee for $30. and the pictures are way better than old SLR's. That's cheaper than rolls of film and development. Old SLR's something like 3.2 mega pixels, cheap digital 6 to 8 mega pixels.

Yes, you are right.

I just like my A-1, it literally has been all over the world. I have a lot of lenses and a power winder. I am getting tired of paying Walmart and CVS to see my pictures though.

Back