• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RMC Stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grantman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Lesson #1: Don't shoot a lightweight flint rifle with heavy bullets and lots of Swiss FFFg, especially in a lead sled. Result: Straight gripped laminate stock is split through the grip area. I know this is a long shot (pun intended), but does anyone know where I can get a replacement stock for a RMC flinter? I'm going to try a repair with brass pins and epoxy, but the crack is circular and really nasty.

RMC was bought out by some place in Millheim PA. I'm sure they still have the duplicating machine to build those stocks, if they don't have some stocks on hand. I recently saw one for sale with a .50 and a .32 barrel for a good price. I would have bought it if it weren't a lefty.

That may be a very hard stock to find. I am not sure, but if I remember correctly the L&R locks used for the RMC Accusporter look to have a similar profile as the L&R RPL TC locks.

So, I am wondering if you could buy a commonly available TC stock and fit your parts to it. Might be worth checking into. Another option would be buying a precarved stock with the correct barrel channel and fitting your parts to it.

I have read so many reports of rifle stocks giving up the ghost in lead sleds, I would not shoot any of my rifles out of one !

When have you ever heard of a stock splitting when used with a normal load off the shoulder?? Lead Sleds are used by guys who want to try out some OVERLOAD in their guns, and don't have the guts to put the gun to their shoulders, IMO.

Stocks split because:

They have hidden flaws;

The inletting of the tang and barrel is sloppy, allowing movement. The gun actually is recoiling against the Tang bolt or screw;

The gun is overloaded, using the wrong powder, or too much of the right one. It takes a lot of force to split a stock( even making a small crack at the back of the tang) that is well bedded, and has no defects.

Sit with a group of gunsmiths sometime, and listen to them talk about their customers who drag in stocks that are split one way or another. The last thing they will be blaming is a "lead sled".

Properly used, a lead sled is a huge aid to finding the limits of accuracy of a particular barrel and load. If you instead want to test a "proof load" or some other overload in a gun, tie t down to a Tire, and use a long string to pull the trigger. There is enough give in the tire that the stock might survive. :surrender: :hmm:

I guess I need to explain some things. I really think the "lack of guts" remark was uncalled for. I use a sled because of four herniated cervical disks, not because it is a great shooting platform- a Sinclair rest and decent bags will give much better accuracy. I planned on using the RMC with a heavy conical to take a bison next month. I expect that the stock did have a flaw, since I've been told that laminates are tougher then plain walnut, and I've been shooting an equivalent load in a TC hawken for years.
I sent an E-mail to the guy that owns the RMC rights, but I'd much prefer a walnut stock. The L&R lock is very good as is the GM barrel. Trigger breaks right at 2 pounds. If you guys can direct me to a stockmaker that would be willing to fit a new stock, you will make my day.

On short notice, I would give Dick Greensides at Pecatonic River a call about a replacement stock. If nothing else, he can use the existing stock as a pattern to make a new one of walnut for you. He can do as much of the finish work as you want to pay him to do, or send you the pattern stock to do the final finish work yourself.

I chose Dick, among other stockmakers, because I have found he will work with you on Short deadlines in situations like this.

Most laminated stocks are more glue than wood, and are made under pressure. If there is a flaw, it will be visible to the educated eye. Typically, any failure will occur in the wood, not the glue, but there can be and are exceptions.

I have a client who makes many of the laminated stocks used in the gun industry, but I have never heard that he ever made stocks for MLers of any kind. If you are set on trying to replace your stock with a factory, Laminated stock, send me a PT and I will give him a call to find out who made yours for RMC. :thumbsup:

Back