• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Style Identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've gotten some fairly decent info on the guns and if looking to sell, would it be better to list them one by one on here, use Track of the Wolf, or what method would you think is best? The amount would be hard to find one person working a deal for the entire lot, so just trying to see your experiences on here versus other places. Thanks

The advantage here is you don’t have commissions or fees but it is more work. I’ll make an observation. Most guns here sell pretty well unless they are real high end. It may take time for some to move them but that will be true if consigned with track.

I recently came into a fairly high end collection of rifles (builds by Bill Shipman, Bob Harn, Frank Lehto, John Bergmann, Brad Emig, Robert Ashe, etc) and I've started my journey on identifying them....I'm a gun guy, but never into muzzleloading until recently....I've identified several, but there are so many similarities between some of the regional styles I want to make sure I get them right...is there a resource any of you would recommend for newbs to learn about all the styles as I dip my toe into muzzleloading 101?
The 6th one from the top looks like a J Henry and sons trade rifle. The 7th one looks to be a Bucks county with the side opening patch box. Several others look familiar but will need to check my books.

Just FYI....the Shipman and Emig should be up soon, but a few Bergmanns and the Bob Harn rifles are all listed on Track of The Wolf.....the rest have flown off the site as quick as they are posted it seems....

I'm left handed as well and all but one of my flintlocks are right-handed. Unless there is substantial cast off built into the stock, the lock position is no disadvantage.

What I'm saying is if you are a gun enthusiast you might learn about the flinters, get the stuff, do some shooting, and see how badly you get hooked before letting go of any of those. You aren't going to easily replace any of them with a left handed version anywhere near the build quality due to the limited availability and quality of left-handed locks. Custom builders of this caliber are few and generally quite backlogged with work.

I'm left handed as well and all but one of my flintlocks are right-handed. Unless there is substantial cast off built into the stock, the lock position is no disadvantage.

What I'm saying is if you are a gun enthusiast you might learn about the flinters, get the stuff, do some shooting, and see how badly you get hooked before letting go of any of those. You aren't going to easily replace any of them with a left handed version anywhere near the build quality due to the limited availability and quality of left-handed locks. Custom builders of this caliber are few and generally quite backlogged with work.

They are a lot of wall hangers, and I would prefer to get them in the arms of those that have a place on their wall or would fire them often...I'm more a modern gun guy because I'm a little lazy, but I do want a few one day that I can fire without being sad I scratched it or marked it somehow....these were too fancy feeling in my hands

Latest posts

Back