• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle kit suggestions???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc1876

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am considering building a Hawken kit, and am not finding any yays or nays on which kit supplier to go with. I have held originals, and really don't want to be disappointed. I have bought from Pecatonica before, and had several difficulties in communications with them. I have seen Track's pages, and have no real idea on how to make a decision. Is there another parts supplier, and stock maker that would be more to my liking? I would like a pre-carved. thanks for your input, and advice.

No personal experience with them but there is The Hawken Shop.

I'd wait for Kibler.

I got a parts set from a famous name supplier of hawken rifle parts sets. The first stock was no good, it was replaced. The next stock was also junk. 3rd time is the charm, I built a stock from a plank.

The inletting of a hawken in the hooked breech area has several things going on at once. Even after a bunch of rifle builds it was very challenging. I doubt any mortal beginner would do a good job without experienced help.

The supplied breech plug had a 1/8" flash hole that clipped the edge of the powder chamber. That created an uncleanable fouling trap. The little hole also came within a couple thousands of breaking out at the junction of the threads and the flat face. I threw that away and machined another from a rough casting. I did it right with a powder chamber and cross hole.

Kits are a box of parts from which you may be able to make a gun. Precarve stocks are usually a mess. IF you try, for gosh sake, do not get one with a pre-inletted lock.

I am happy I did it. It was a good learning experience. In the end, the rifle is just to heavy and cumbersome for my tastes. It is a safe queen.

I have no experience with the Washington state boys.

Attachments

• DSCN9990[2].JPG
    DSCN9990[2].JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'd wait for Kibler.

I got a parts set from a famous name supplier of hawken rifle parts sets. The first stock was no good, it was replaced. The next stock was also junk. 3rd time is the charm, I built a stock from a plank.

The inletting of a hawken in the hooked breech area has several things going on at once. Even after a bunch of rifle builds it was very challenging. I doubt any mortal beginner would do a good job without experienced help.

The supplied breech plug had a 1/8" flash hole that clipped the edge of the powder chamber. That created an uncleanable fouling trap. The little hole also came within a couple thousands of breaking out at the junction of the threads and the flat face. I threw that away and machined another from a rough casting. I did it right with a powder chamber and cross hole.

Kits are a box of parts from which you may be able to make a gun. Precarve stocks are usually a mess. IF you try, for gosh sake, do not get one with a pre-inletted lock.

I am happy I did it. It was a good learning experience. In the end, the rifle is just to heavy and cumbersome for my tastes. It is a safe queen.

I will say, it is beautiful. I am looking for one just like it, and have decided that the only way is to build it myself. I just can't justify $4k for one right now.

I'd wait for Kibler.

That’s a beautiful rifle! You made Sam Hawken smile 😃

Back