• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle is done,going to the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul LaFranco

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Well my new GPR is finished and this Thurs Im going to the range to shake her out. My biggest concern is how much to lube the patches, I have some Hopes#9 special solvent and patch lube, but should I thoughorly wet the patch, or just lightly dampen it? When I was at the gun shop they were telling me that some guys just suck on the patches, but I don't see how that can give any lubrication. Also I would greatly appriciate it if you guys could give me a staring load, and a max load for both the .50. and 54 cal useing FFG powder, and 495, and 535 round balls. I will give a range report as soon as I get back on Thurs.
Thanks Much,
Paul :grin: :grin: :grin: :hatsoff:

Hey Paul !!!

Start out using one grain per cal. 50gr. for a 50cal. and so on..

From there you need to determine the distance and type of target you will shoot at..

Up until lately, a new patch was put in the mouth at the time of loading.. Get it wet for the next shot...

Luck !!!

Ed....

I have a .50 caliber, mine loves .490 and about .010 patches. I wett mine with about 30% balistol and water, let it soak a few minutes then lay out to dry so only the oil remains. 70 grains of fff. Whatever lube you chose it wont take much. Also at the range swab between shots with a very lightly dampened patch once in and out, dont scrub it just get the heavy stuff out so it stays consistent. I use moose milk to clean between shots. Hoppes 9 doesnt work on black powder. I got the moose milk recipe from this sight. You will need to try different balls and patches as well as powder charges but only change one thing at a time to see what works best for yours. I learned alot from reading Dutch Schultzes booklet he sells, you can find him here on this forum if he still sells them. Hope this helps get you started.

Drago,I think Rightwinger has the Hoppes #9 that is specifically for black powder shooting.It is supposed to be a excellent patch lube.Rightwinger,you do not want them sopping wet,start out damp and if they go down hard get them a little wetter.You also want to use the tightest ball/patch combo so it pushes the fowling down the barrel each shot.Good luck at the range.

Thanks for the info on the Hoppes 9, I did not know there was one for BP

I have two .54 GPRs, one percussion and one flint I built from a kit. Both will give one ragged hole groups at 50 yards with a .530 ball, pillow ticking oatch (.018) lubed with Ballistol oil and 80 grains of FFg Foex. I get about the same results at 100 yards just by bumping the powder charge up yo 90 grains. My patches are slightly, but evenly damp. My lube is four parts water and one part oil. A new barrel has sharp lands that will cut tour patches. The lands will smooth outafter about 200 shots and stop cutting the patcges. Enjoy your new rifle :thumbsup:

My 50 shoots best starting at 70 grains of FF and .018 ox-bow patches around a .490 swaged balls. These patches have wonder lube on them. I am going to give the .495 balls a go the .490's seem to load easier than they should. I use Moose Milk to swab the bore between shots. If you don't have time a little dish soap in water will work ,just dampen the patch not really wet. I shot mine quite a bit with 50 and 55 grains of FF but the groups got smaller at 70 grains. My rifle shoots 100 grains quite well and I suspect that the tighter patch and ball combo will shoot even better. Geo. T.

I use regular old salt free pig Lard or vegetable (super market shortening) for patch lube and I put as much on both sides of the patch as I can get on. A fellow who has building and shooting award winning flintlocks for over 35 years gave me that tip. I also clean with Butches between every shot when using holy black on the range.

Back