• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Frolic at Historic Tunnel Mill (Pictures)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Every year the John Work property hosts a rifle frolic in October. The shoot is a woodswalk with a fire starting competition. This year the entire shoot was held in the pouring rain. Who says you can't shoot flintlocks in the rain? :grin: I forgot my tinder kit, so I forfeited points for that. There was a three-way tie for 1st place which was broke by a tomahawk throw. I got 2nd place.

From my previous posts you may have noticed that there is always a culinary experience involved and this is no different. There was a baking competition in the end. I took first place with a Chicken Pie from a 1794 recipe. It was my first stab at making homemade crust. I baked it in my 1850 spider skillet.

Please enjoy these pictures from the Historic Tunnel Mill property.

The Home was built in 1811.
IMG_6806_zpsd7deccee.jpg

A recently built tool shed.
IMG_6804_zps94fc9d6d.jpg

The property got a historic marker last year
IMG_6805_zpse5c6b689.jpg

The reenactor fields
IMG_6807_zpsd48cee22.jpg

A recently added distillery house
IMG_6810_zps60aaa67a.jpg

IMG_6812_zps55155eaf.jpg

A soldiers shelter based off an original Civil War sketch.
IMG_6813_zps93d75d01.jpg

IMG_6817_zpse886eb45.jpg

IMG_6816_zpsa18cf91a.jpg

IMG_6815_zpsda2ca9e1.jpg

Timbers from an 1830's home which will be reborn on the property.
IMG_6818_zpscc23cf93.jpg

Shooting while it's pouring...notice the two 14 year olds in the background. We had 8 teenagers at this event. The caretakers of this property do well to get youth involved.
IMG_6819_zpsd5aa03f2.jpg

Some of the men were sliding down the hills in their mocs. Notice the heavy breathing. :wink:
IMG_6820_zps2659af4e.jpg

Looking over my knee drying off in the parlor and enjoying a peach cordial.
IMG_6824_zps11091f88.jpg

The first fully restored room in the home.
IMG_6821_zps357ca890.jpg

IMG_9000_zps0286f655.jpg

IMG_6823_zps552c8204.jpg

Here's part of the dinner spread. In iron spider skillet is my chicken pie. The ingredients of that pie crust is flour, lard, butter, wetted with cream. Melts in your mouth. It contains layers of salted and peppered chicken thigh seperated by layers of sliced butter. Thank you Amelia Simmons for publishing America's first cookbook!
IMG_6827_zps8e99a816.jpg

This looks like fun and it also looks like an interesting site. Good shooting & baking. Nice photos, too.

Those pictures sure make me homesick for Indiana. You lucky rascal, don't ever leave there.

Billnpatti said:
Those pictures sure make me homesick for Indiana. You lucky rascal, don't ever leave there.

I don't ever mean to!! :thumbsup:

Back