• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rice 62 cal round radius barrel-range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Redwing I must be missing something here ,what is the advantage of using the Teflon patches vs the cloth ones?.This is new to me...Thanks...Dan

The teflon provides a fire proof seal. For target shooting the bore is wiped with a damp patch not cleaned. The teflon used in this fashion uses no wet lubes to fowl the powder. For hunting they use no lubes to attack powder or freeze at any low temp. They are very near a perfect seal in the rifle giving very good shot after shot accuracy. They also give the bore a very slick surface for easy cleaning. If you choose not to wipe, say on 20 minute relays shooting from a bag. You can use some moisture on the inside of the patch this will allow the ball to force a little lube thru the teflon. :thumbsup:

Swampy Roy's work sure looks nice, do you shoot roundballs out of your 12 smooth bore? if so ,how much powder can you load until the recoil becomes an issue? On a previous post about ordering this barrel -another member suggest trying Swiss powder and mentioned loads over 125 gr.of powder..I'm not sure I would enjoy a load that hot. I was having issues keeping the patches intact at the 125 gr level..The barrel is new and I didn't try 2 ff power. There is plenty of time before next November to tweak this barrel.
Thanks for sharing....Dan

My Fowler weighs 6 lbs 9 oz. I had a hell of a time working up a load. I finally found the "Magic load" which was 80 gr 2F Swiss. .715 ball with a 1/2 of a fiber wad lubed with bear grease and a .015 bear grease patch. I tried 80, 85, 90 grain charges of Swiss FF powder. I found recoil at 90 was getting to be a bit much for me and decided at the normal ranges I shoot deer, avg 40 yards, and the fact my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, 80 which was extremely accurate was enough for me.

I've had two shots at deer, one was a really nice buck that hog dressed 160. I shot him at 35 yards quartering to me, he had stopped to catch his breath from chasing a Doe. I aimed low, figuring on sneaking the ball between the leg, front of one lung and rear of the backside lung. I hit him at the top of the shoulder/neck/spine and flipped him over! I swear that deer saw the flash in the pan of that big Virginia lock and was able to go down just enough so I shot high. The other was a big Doe broadside at 75 yards, she hogged at 130 lbs. I aimed just over her back as the gun is sighted at 50 yards. I hit her through the top of the shoulder and spine, dropping her on the spot. of 80 2F Swiss is plenty and not bad at all to shoot.

"Thank you" Redwing...Uusing the Teflon in timed matches sounds like a good fit.Is this what most of the competition shooters use? You got me curious I'll do some home work and check it out...Dan

Good shooting Swampy-I like the idea of the fiber wad over the powder.what does a .715 ball weigh?Just curious what is your zero range for vitals on deer.ie--35 to 75 yards? 7 to 8 inch vital width. that .715 ball must rainbow down range...Thanks for answering my newbee questions....Dan

Makeumsmoke - Thanks for posting information and photos :thumbsup: Now I'm glad I opted to go ahead with the 31" Rice in .62 for the jaeger build!! Enjoy the .62 :hatsoff:

makeumsmoke said:
Good shooting Swampy-I like the idea of the fiber wad over the powder.what does a .715 ball weigh?Just curious what is your zero range for vitals on deer.ie--35 to 75 yards? 7 to 8 inch vital width. that .715 ball must rainbow down range...Thanks for answering my newbee questions....Dan

Ya know I'm not sure the weight and I'm having a rough day so I can't get out of bed to weigh one. Trust me they are heavy.

I used to sight in at 100, then 75, then it only made since to sight all my guns in at 50 yards. If I have to adjust from there, it's pretty easy but my days of shooting 100 yards open sights are over. I also shoot with both eyes open and always using a six o'clock hold.

Heres a pic when I found my load, it's pretty much point of aim at 25 yards. A little more fussing with the file on the front sight and that group is now just above the line of my sights at 50 yards, 5 will shoot into less than 2" on a good day. I also have a nice crisp light trigger. :thumbsup:

neballtarget2.jpg

Dixie Flinter said:
Makeumsmoke - Thanks for posting information and photos :thumbsup: Now I'm glad I opted to go ahead with the 31" Rice in .62 for the jaeger build!! Enjoy the .62 :hatsoff:

Dixie this is my first round at the range- I am impressed ..I'm thinking you will enjoy the Rice barrel...When I ordered the barrel 12 weeks ago I sent them a breach plug that would match the tang of my Renegade- purchased at track of the wolf...One of my duck hunting buddys is a full time gunsmith- he machined the breach plug into a patent style..Rice fitted the plug to the barrel....You will not be disappointed....Looking forward to your build and range report when completed..Dan

Where did you get this barrel from? I have an extra Renegade stock and all waiting for a flint barrel, maybe I could give a new barrel a home. This can be another one of my attempts to boost the economy.

...ricebarrels.com...12 week wait -worth every minute! Remember they sell just the barrel- you need to supply the breach plug-under lug,under rib ram rod pipes ,sights-vent liner. I think it's money well spent!

When I bought my .58cal Rice barrel earlier this year, the breechplug was addressed as a separate question when the sales order was being drawn up...like a specifiy option with its own price...I declined because I was having a patent breechplug made for the barrel.

roundball said:
When I bought my .58cal Rice barrel earlier this year, the breechplug was addressed as a separate question when the sales order was being drawn up...like a specifiy option with its own price...I declined because I was having a patent breechplug made for the barrel.

Wow, I bought two from Rice and both had em, now I don't remember him asking about them but he may have, it's been awhile now to remember right.

Yes, there were questions about the type plug, tang size & shape, and I said I wouldn't need one.

In fact, they knew Dennis McCandless / Custom Breeching in New Mexico and shipped the barrel straight to him for me.

Back