• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reworked CVA Mountain Rifle Stock Comb

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BigSkyRambler said:
That's crazy. I can see them on my end in the original post. What witchcraft is this?

not witchcraft, greed. send photbucket 400 bucks & you can post pix to your hearts content. :youcrazy:

Well, poop! I am done with Photobucket. In any event, the stock comb now has an almost vertical drop of a little over 1/2 inch at the point where it originally started sloping down. Wrist is now a bit longer. Looks pretty cool.

One of the things that made the MR a darn good rifle of it's own style is that it mimics more of the modern fit that we as 20th century folks are used too then our ancestors.
That means even the oldest of us here began shooting in the late 40's to early 50's as youth and/or later.
Many if not all of us grew up with a different type of stock then was available 2-300yrs ago.
You can change the external shape of the butt stock at the comb and cheek on a CVA MR,, but unless you change the angle of the butt plate itself,, it's still going to have the same drop at shoulder.
That ridged cheek of olde style rilfes,, actually came into play along with the different drop at comb and shoulder angle.
The MR, while being a darn good rifle of itself,, isn't a copy of an 18th century rifle. It was made for 20th century shooters.
I'd like to see what you did, :wink: :v

The MR was modelled after a 19th century rifle of the Ohio region if memory serves. Old articles from the period when these were being sold referenced this.

The same was said of CVA's Hawken Pistol. But it too was based on an original.

I know that I cannot make it look like a true plains rifle, but just want to make a few cosmetic changes to fit my way of thinking. Maybe when I figure out the Dropbox thing, I can post pics again.

Let's try this. My reworked CVA Mountain Rifle stock comb and its original Hawken inspiration.

R3PXuEd.jpg

EMN3oDa.jpg

I would love to do somethin' like this to my Mountain Rifle. unfortunately, whoever had it first was one ham-handed rascal & it's already kinda thin in the wrist.

Back