• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver paper cartridges with caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snubnose57

40 Cal.
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, did not some boxes come with caps also?
Were these caps enclosed in a paper tube back then? Cannot remember now, but I think I saw a You Tube video of someone capping his revolver from such a tube.
Thoughts, anyone?

I'm not sure what video I saw it in when I was researching paper cartridges I watched all that were out there. I remember seeing in one I think it was on cap and ball (you tube) that in the original cartridge boxes caps were included. I think they were just wrapped up and included.

Some folks place a cap in each end of a short length of aquarium tubing to put the caps on with. I have never tried it but it sounds like it should work well. Original packets of 6 rounds often contained 6 or 7 caps but not in a tube.

Yes. SOME of the DC Sage combustible cartridges had a 7th hole in the block that contained the caps. Colt and all the other manufacturers- to the best of my knowledge- didn't include caps. The DC Sage box was a mono-block or single piece of wood- about the size of a deck of cards with six blind holes drilled into one side (or 7th if caps). Like the Colt, there was a paper wrapping (shellacked) over the entire box and a pull string. I think Colt had wire and Sage had string. You yanked the string and that ripped open the area over the holes and you dumped the rounds into your hands.
There is a lot of information on these cartridges, I think Terry White of Gettysburg, PA has written several books. You should find plenty on the internet.
And....on the paper tube? I don't think there was any. All I've ever seen is an x-ray of an original DC Sage box with the 7th hole containing caps and it looks like the caps are loose- no paper tube. The references I cited probably have all the details.

Latest posts

Back