• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver holsters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can someone show me types of holsters that would accompany revolvers before 1865? I have the guns, I have holsters. I am not aware of proper holster types for my guns. Thanks. Dale

the union revolvers would have been in a flap holster. not sure what civilians used? most likly a flap holster with the flap cut off.

This is what I carry my 1851s in: 1849 “Californian” Holster – El Paso Saddlery baack when I got mine they didn't do the sewn-in toe plug.

IMG_0231.JPG

I got a Big Texas leather works holster for my 1851 navy Off etsy love it. Can ware it as a cross draw or strong side has two belts loops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819_204551_Etsy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230819_204551_Etsy.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
Among civilians the California or SlimJim, and also the military flap holster with or without the flap. The SlimJim was quite popular because it could be readily constructed by the user from the shaft of a worn out boot. The one pictured incorporates features from both civilian and military. The snug and tailored fit of a SlimJim with the military style coverage of the trigger along with a remnant of the flap retained as a barrier between the revolver and the wearer. A functional and comfortable design.
IMG_0455.jpg

Last edited:
Can someone show me types of holsters that would accompany revolvers before 1865? I have the guns, I have holsters. I am not aware of proper holster types for my guns. Thanks. Dale
I like the Union holster for percussion guns as no other design I'm aware of protects them against the elements as well. They work great for storing them as well keeping the guns free of dings and dents.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    357.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2462.JPG
    IMG_2462.JPG
    517.3 KB · Views: 0
Finished the stitching last evening, then wet-formed again overnight. Still have to sand and then rub down the edges, but these aren't that hard to do if you have a sharp knife, a manilla folder for patternmaking and some 9-ounce vegetable-tanned leather lying around. It has been so long since I did the last one that I made some errors in the decoration, but no matter. It'll look fine from the next county over.
P.S. As Piperdally mentioned, it never hurts to have a copy of Rattenbury's "Packing Iron" in the house.

Back