• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolutionary War vs F&I War Powder Horn Style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskeg Stomper

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for your opinions: What, other than a base lobe, defines whether a powder horn is either Revolutionary War or French & Indian War styled. I've looked through the Sibley's book and I'm trying to figure out defining characteristics.

The scrimshaw if any would be different, of course, and I've heard that F&I horns tend to be bigger.

The problem is that I'm not sure there's much you could do with a horn that wasn't done in the first 20 years that people carried horns....

the time periods are so close together you are talking more about individuals differences than period differences.

I am not sure there are enough surviving dated examples from either time period to form a pattern for comparison.

Recreating the 18th Century Powder Hornby Scott & Cathy Sibley refers to both type of horns and about the only differences that I can tell are the possibility of a lobed base, maybe the size and the scrimshaw as ya'll mentioned. I was hopeing that some of you horners out there had other characteristics that you could name. Thanks to you folks who replied.

You can't put everything in a box. There was lobed horns and low domed butt plugs at the same time. I would guess that there were probably more low domed butt plugs than domed. I am by no means an expert on horns, mind you, it's just what I've noticed of the horns in museums and books that have them dated. The styles seemed to blend slowly and mix. I'm also pretty sure that the breeds of cattle didn't die off between the 1750's and 1770's, so the horns were probably the same size and shape. Just MHO

Russ,
As a Horner, and American history nut. I feel that the biggest difference in F & I War horns and Revolutionary horns is the engravings adorning them, for the most part. Yes, there are some makers variation of the period, but the short time span between both wars were so close, including the War of 1812. I have never felt that there was any exacting difference's!

Get yourself a copy of AMERICAN ENGRAVED POWDER HORNS by Stephen V. Grancsay, copyright 1976, Ray Riling Arms Books Co. Phiadelphia, PA. I don't know if it is still in print, but in covers alot of researched details of American powder horn history etc. I bought my copy from TOW many years ago and still refer to it from time to time.

Rick

I agree that there were a wide variety of horns made over the period in question and there are many syles of professionally made horns and many regional styles as well. Most examples we know today that are dated at all are obviously scrimmed horns and it's possible that horns not scrimmed were on a whole less professionally made.

There were several "schools" of F&I War period horns. One was the Lake George school and there are many examples of those horns which were professionally scrimmed and possibly made as well. In addition there were commercial "map horns" of which many examples exist. These are terrific but I prefer home-made or home-scrimmed horns. I am not suggesting these are representative but it's always nice to see originals. These are drawings done in the 1930's by my great uncle Robert M. Hartley in the Mohawk valley of NY State.

Here is the John Putnam horn, a professionally scrimmed horn probably a Lake George horn. Notice the John Putnam horn is not lobed and is F&I War period.

JohnPutnamHornclr.jpg

Here is the Aaron Putnam horn, one of the best IMHO. Notice this is a Revolutionary War period horn and IS lobed.

aaronputnamhornclrsmall.jpg

Here is an example of a 1757 horn. I've copied this one or at least used it for inspiration.
HartleyHorn6small-1.jpg

my copy with embellsihments (repairs)
mermaidflat.jpg

Here's a nice homey style Rev. War horn also drawn by RM Hartley. It has some design motifs similar to the Aaron Putman horn but probably not by the same hand in my opinion.
CDM1776small.jpg

I have seen that the F&I horns tend to be larger 14"to 18", the lobes were seen on many horns but i have seen just as many without. The type of decoration is a little diferent. Many early 1750 horns had homemade scrimshaw and a simpler design, later in the war there were profesional horners doing work. The examples in many books that show ornate designs were owned by more well to do people and so had less real use and have survived time. The average guy horns were used until they could not be fixed anymore and went in the trash. From the examples i have seen horns and there decorations were a very individual thing and varried greatly, many horn styles and basic shapes were the same in each area with minor variations but they seem to follow a set design, such as buttplugs, the neck and spout. The meathod of attaching the strap seems to have changed from one war to the next.

Back