• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Return or Keep - Which Would You Do ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeMat1856

45 Cal.
Reaction score
. may 11 / 06:40

i've reached my wits end.. some say the 3rd time's the charm, but i'm now faced with the 4th and can't make a solid decision, so i need some second opinions.

friday i was at the range with "ol moses" - my latest lemat.. somewhere after 50 or so rounds i noticed that parts of the hammer had actually broken off.. if you're familiar with this navy model, the drop down attachment is flanked by two thin extensions that smooth out the sharp edges of the area on either side of the V sight cut into the hammer attachment.. :shocked2:

i've had this one for just 6 months and its been to the range twice.. a replacement hammer is close to $175..

assuming it's still under dixie's warranty, would you think i should go through the hassle of getting a replacement or just live with it.. :idunno:

here's some more to add to the quandry:
1) the first one (from cabela) also broke after 500+ rounds / 11 months. (returned for refund)

2) the second one (from dixie) was so badly constructed that it was just sent back - no questions asked - and replaced with this 3rd one.

3) on this 3rd one, there is almost zero space between the cylinder and barrel which leads to frequent binding after 1 or 2 full firings of the main cylinder's 9 rounds.. one chamber is just slightly too large and allows 'ball creep' which means i have to stop and fix this .. and there are other annoying little cosmetic things like the front sight being off center and too tall, the trigger guard is slightly out of round (but fits somehow), etc.

so, am i beating my head on the proverbial brick wall just to make good on my original investment or have i become blinded to the reality that these are just shoddy, overpriced novelties meant to be used by reenactors or collectors..

in all honesty, i still think it's a blast to use at the range and never tire of the questions and attention it draws from curious potential new members interested in blackpowder, yet i dread the thought of going through a possible 1-2 months backlog wait only to get yet another lemon that i'll have to dissect and inspect for any number of possible flaws.....

pietta really has done a terrible job with these when it comes to quality control and workmanship.. every one i've owned has had several points where they should have failed inspection but didn't... at this price, that's unbelievable.. are '51 navies or walkers or remingtons any better ?

so, would you return this or just face the fact that they will all have something wrong with 'em and live with it ? :hmm:

~d~

Maybe return it aand get a different style pistol. I knew a fellow with a Lamat and his first day out, he bent the loading rod, badly. They look cool, but I think are not made real well.

P

LeMat1856 said:
so, would you return this or just face the fact that they will all have something wrong with 'em and live with it ? :hmm:

I would send it back, I have luck with Cabelas but if I am at Cabelas I look at 5 to 7 of them to find one that I would buy.

When I ordered one, it has a 50/50 chance of being right.

Last year I ordered two from Cabelas and they were great. I went to Cabelas and I looked at 8 of the same model gun before I found one I would buy and be willing to fix it.

Then from Dixie I have never gotten an order right. I still order things from them and just take my lumps and make do.

The LeMat does seem more prone to problems, but if you want one get the best one you can find and learn to repair and rebuild them and become the man to go to for the LeMat.

Tinker2

Based upon your experience and the experience of others I've read about, I'd return it and get one of the Uberti Colts (I'm a Colt fan).

The LeMat is cool to look at and handle and as you know from experience draws a lot of attention. But unless you want to keep one for display and maybe an occasional outing, it seems they just are not made very well and therefore not dependable.

If you do decide to "trade up" I believe you'd be very happy with something made by Uberti. While some of the Pietta's are okay, I own a 51 Navy, the Uberti's I own are my favorites not only because of the lack of stampings all over the piece but because of their dependability.

Sadley the problems seem to be part of the design of the pistol. I have wanted one for several years but can not talk my self into paying the price with the problems.

Chilidog beat me to the punch. I'd dump the thing and go for a revolver from Uberti. The Uberti Colts are beautiful as is the Remington. They aren't loaded with those ugly stampings. And the fit and finish is better than the competition.

If the revolver is basically falling apart in your hand, why run the risk of it really coming apart in your hand and causing injury? I would get something reliable. Then you can get back to the enjoyment of shooting and not have to wonder if the LeMat will hold together while shooting.

Think of the LeMat as good looking, and expensive shoes that really aren't good for your feet. The shoes might make you look good, but how far are you going to get in them? :hmm:

Go with an Uberti Colt Walker. Well made, reliable and a ton of fun to shoot -- especially when you load each cylinder with 55 grains of 3FG!!

S&S Firearms has the best price. Nice folks too.

The more complex designed models like the LaMatt and Starr seem to have inherant design problems. Add to that, reproductions,though often good, are not up to the original's quality. I'm with the others, return it and get one of the more reliable Colt, Remington or Rogers and Spencer models. Maybe not as intriguing but definitly fewer hassels.

Don

Ouch, that sucks. I'm not really familiar with the particulars of the model, but is there any kind of fix that could stop it from happening again?

I would contact dixie, not sure what there policy is after 6 months, curious to know though.

Seems to me if you ditch it then you have to change your user name and avatar :cursing:

A friend of mine has one. When he took it out for the first time it started falling apart. I have no experience with a Le Mat but I do have with Piettas. I have given them many chances in the last 15 years and only once did it pan out. Ubertis are much better in my opinion. I have 5 Ubertis and I have owned 8 Piettas. I still have 1 Pietta because it is broken and I havn't got around to fixing it so I can sell it. My advice is to return the Le Mat and get 2 or 3 Ubertis for the same money.

. may 12 / 03:30

well, this turned out to be a really good idea.. as you all can see, the consensus seems to be send it back and move into another model altogether (i was thinking colt 3rd model dragoon by uberti but others are also up there).

now to address individual posts:

poordevil - (3 cheers for arizona !) you've seen how this happens in person so you know what i'm talkin' about.

tinker2 - we don't have a cabelas anywhere in CA but i too would feel much better if i could handle it before putting $$ down.. also, i agree.. ordering online is 50/50 at best which could leave me spending a small fortune in shipping.....

chilidog - i agree.. colt would be my choice.

rr11 - don't do it unless you can go to cabelas or dixie in person or be prepared for an experience like mine.

DoubleDeuce1 - that's the kind of 'second opinion' i'm looking for...

PaulTheWall - i'm stuck with dixie for this transaction but would consider an uberti walker from them.

Don - why, after over 150 years or so, are they still not able to improve on this model ? i mean, we put a couple of men on the moon, fer chrisesake...

Kadmos - not that i know of and, with my luck, it would happen within a few months of getting the new one... dixie should still honor parts and materials within original 6 months....

mjn - my guess is that you vote 'uberti or nothing'... might be the way to go.

personally, i bought this because it's the only revolver on the market that has both rifled and smooth barrels, holds 9 rounds of .454" plus an ounce of #2 (.270" buck), and i actually think it looks well balanced.. the weak point seems to be pietta and their shoddy materials and workmanship.. even the 'reviews' on dixie complain of "...needed to send back first one, second one much better..."

well, i'm going to think on it for one more day and then make my move.. given i already have a pietta 1860 pocket army sheriff (from navy arms 1983), and a pedersoli, i think it's time to try uberti and they have lots of good models to choose from.. i'll keep ya' posted.

thanks for all the opinions :hatsoff:

~d~

I remember chuckling when a cowboy action shooting group proposed a new match-- a LeMat throwing contest.

Dan,

Change the Avatar! A friend of mine who RUNS the League at the club we belong to used his LeMat, cleaned it and made it a wall-hanger! It hasn't seen daylight since! He's keeping it as a point of curiosity for his collection. And this guy can take things apart and put them back together in his sleep!

I'd vote for the Uberti Walker if you're looking to attract attention at a range! 50-55 grains of 3 Fg and a cloud of smoke will bring them coming! The 3rd Model Dragoon with 45 grains will do the same! Although the Lemat looks different, when the hammer falls and the thing doesn't go bang, it sends the wrong message to prospective new bp shooters.

I think that you've demonstrated an extraordinary amount of patience with this model firearm, becoming an expert in it's MALFUNCTION, so now it's time for Daniel to get REAL, and get something that HE can have fun with, for isn't THAT THE REASON YOU SHOOT BP TO BEGIN WITH?

$750 bucks gets you both the Walker and the 3rd Model Dragoon at some outlets, and that's a lot of reliable FUN!

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

I also vote Uberti. If I could get more than one of theirs it would be a square back navy, a 2nd model Dragoon or a civilian 1860.

I also like the little guys like the 1848 etc :thumbsup:

Send it back and get a Uberti Colt Dragoon. You can plink with 30-35 gr loads and get a woodie shooting 40+gr loads.

I doubt there is an original LeMat that has had 500 rounds fired. They are not meant as a range revolver but as oddity of the time period that can be fired.

In the two years I've had mine it's been out four times and fire less than a hundred. I haven't broke anything but it is a finicky revolver and you have to have a delicate hand or things bend or break. The LeMat is at it's best in a custom display case.

Another vote here for the Uberti 1851 Navy.
I have the Uberti Walker and the 3rd Dragoon also.
The 1851 will shoot as good as any of my S&W revolvers at 25 yards.
2" 5 shot groups if I do my part.

I also love my square back navies. I have two.( and 2 remmies and 1 1860). They are dandies. I also had a 2nd model dragoon. Damn big gun . I sold it cause I never really used it much. But I did like it. If you want something with a WOW factor get a dragoon or a walker. Or both! :grin:

This thread begs the question... does any other company, besides Pietta, make a LeMat replica anymore??

It would be great if Uberti or say a Ruger, made a LeMat that wouldn't fall apart after 100 rounds or so.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Back