• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Repurposing small cal ammo for my Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a note here, guys. My gunsmith mentor once handed me a section of old barrel and a newspaper telling me to polish the barrel. I thought he was crazy. A few hours later I had learned that even newspaper can abrade steel however slowly. So yes, foil can wear a barrel as do patches around a lead ball. Would take a long time to see any damage though.
John

In NSSA smoothbore shooting cloth patches are not allowed. Wrapping the ball in foil is common practice.

Just a note here, guys. My gunsmith mentor once handed me a section of old barrel and a newspaper telling me to polish the barrel. I thought he was crazy. A few hours later I had learned that even newspaper can abrade steel however slowly. So yes, foil can wear a barrel as do patches around a lead ball. Would take a long time to see any damage though.
John
Yeah. When I want some peace I get my grandchild to polish some coal for me too. Burns better polished đź‘Ť

That is quite dangerous. If he got one lodged in the throat and didnt notice or forgot to clear it!

Yea Britt, I don't reccomend it at ALL, but I absolutely SAW it done.
Just commenting on the dumbest thing I've seen done with a shotgun... but he was having a fine time...

John

My mentor uses brown grocery bags to final finish a wooden stock...iirc he says it's equivalent to about 4000 grit...

That is quite dangerous. If he got one lodged in the throat and didnt notice or forgot to clear it!
True. According to the story it wasnt his first time doing it though he k ow what he was doing.I can see it it makes perfect sense. It would be safe for the shooter.

right who in hell ever thought of that scenario? aluminum foil? give me a break.
It does clean the bore super clean so he has a point I think it is kind of abrasive. Give him a break he's looking out for our best interests

Back