• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replica Powder Flask Quality

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Versanaut

40 Cal
Reaction score
I ordered a new replica colt powder flask manufactured by one of the popular italian arms companies and sold by a popular muzzleloading retailer to compliment a new 1851 Navy and was quite disappointed in the quality. I found it contained a significant amount of what seems like coarse sand or even tumbler media. I received the flask with 75% of the entire perimeter/seam's 'finish' chipped off exposing what appears to be an aluminum flask? (Silver colored metal. Magnet does not stick). You can even see brush strokes where possibly a copper paint was applied. I was under the impression that the flask itself would be constructed of copper and brass per the description stating a copper face. Shoot, I'd be happy if the body was even brass, but the aluminum has me concerned. Most problematic, one of the small set screws holding the valve on is missing and allows the contents, in this case the sand, to spill out the screw hole.

Obviously the missing screw is a dealbreaker, but, ss this is the first flask I've ever owned (I'm a powder horn guy), I'm curious if is this the typical 'build' and quality of these things? Is there a reputable source of better quality that I should be looking for? Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Hi, Versanaut, I haven't bought a new flask in many moons, but the ones I have and have owned were copper with brass heads and spouts. The problem with them I had was breaking the winky little gate valve springs. Quality with both Colt's and Remington style repro flasks was good, never had any sand or other problems like you describe. I'd send that piece of manure back and demand a refund and ask for money for my time and shipping. I would be tempted to tape it to a brick and send it back postage due!

20200103_141740.jpg

These are copper. One issue I've heard about with them is they are two piece soldered together and can split. Easy enough to solder back but do empty and clean first.
The brass tube flask I think is more practical in that there are no seams and the valve spring is more dependable plus easy to replace with ordinary spring. Both great for pistols because of the lower volume used. Won't last long for 60+ gns at a time in rifles. But even good for rifles in the field where you don't reload so much.
Don't order things unless the product discription fits your need or want.
Some flasks look copper but are tinted plastic. Buyer always be ware.

I have a number of repro flasks, but haven't bought a new one in years. Most were picked up at garage sales, flea markets or as part of a trade. None have shown the problems Versanaut had in his. I use mine on a regular basis. As bang said the tube type are probably more sturdy. I'd send the one you got back. Also, for our reference who sold you the flask.

The Italian powder flasks are of general awful quality.

Forget them, and get yourself a nice powder horn. Powder horns are period correct from about the 15th century until, well, today. Nobody out there makes a good reproduction metallic powder flask.

The very best new powder flasks ever made in recent times where those made by Mick Marsh who in conjunction with Ken Steggles made the best shot flasks and Allport Cappers Powder measures, bore gauges Good as the best Victorian flasks ( But Parker Hale or rather Jas Dixon Sheffield for P Hale produced some quite good).If the Double shutter Marsh flash proof was the best. But Kens long gone & Mick I think went into best gun case accesorries .This said some very good tops and flasks where made in India in the 70s though these could vary from copies also made .Do'snt help you nowadays but I got some back then and they deserve a mention I think . While Horn flasks do go back in time the tops today are rarely suitable or correct .There is an exellent reference on Staghorn flasks from the Carpathian mountains by Bella Rosa I seem to recall but though they show some really early tops they would be unsuited to modern tastes or standards . Some US horns sported the ' wrap around spring cut off ' that is 18c but these are not flash proof '.Lanthorn ' heated & moulded sheets of horn to form two round to slightly pear shapes & sewn with wire & covered with a rolled edging , some leather covered. are dead right late17c up to late 18th but again are not often found or reproduced . I bought such a horn at an Eastern loaned it to Bill Kennedy to copy, he kept saying he "was working on it "But I never saw it again much to my annoyance . Again the wraparound spring cut off shutter sort .

People today want to live forever so many frown on serving the gun from a flask .I've seen flasks blow up but put that down to human error . .I was at a Clay shoot on the Derbyshire Moors when a shooter primed his flint gun after dinner break to squib it off but omitted to take his small priming flask like the little colt eagle size away. And of course it blew it up . I heard a loud HOO !Hoo ! rushed out of the marquee and there he stood yellow westcoat all black .Shocked but had the presence of mind to say "Dose anybody want to buy a black waistcoat ?" So he hadn't lost his sense of humour .
Rudyard

There are some flasks that can have a defective solder seam and split apart I suppose. I have an original that was my great grandfather's and some of the seam is separated but the metal is thick enough it doesn't get worse or flex. I have a Remington type Italian made that is every bit as good as the one I got in the 70's which I had painted with clear nail polish to retain the marbled copper colors and it is still holding the coloring except for a bit of wear. I wouldn't want to see anyone try and make the seam between the two halves any sturdier as the soft seam saved me from serious injury when I was a kid. I did something stupid and a different Remington type flask blew up in my hand. I was afraid to look because I thought for sure I had lost a thumb. But when I looked, I was intact. The flask head shot off into the dirt and the two halves had pealed apart with one off somewhere and the half that stayed behind had made a mold of my hand. If it was not butt soldered, I would have lost part of my hand. If we can survive our foolishnesses, we become wise by default.

I bought two of them in the 1960s and still have them. The spring broke on one but was easy to replace. I've been a bit rough on them, I'll admit, but they are still going strong.

Some good info here. I'll avoid the retailers for now, especially online ones and insist to inspect them in hand. I wrote the retailer and am waiting on a reply. They have a 100% guarantee and I am certain they will honor it. Just a pain to have to deal with it is all. I may just go for a brass cylinder flask. A horn is too much of a pain to use to load them cylinders... Unless I build/purchase one with a spring valve and a brass nozzle..

Thanks all!!

Some good info here. I'll avoid the retailers for now, especially online ones and insist to inspect them in hand. I wrote the retailer and am waiting on a reply. They have a 100% guarantee and I am certain they will honor it. Just a pain to have to deal with it is all. I may just go for a brass cylinder flask. A horn is too much of a pain to use to load them cylinders... Unless I build/purchase one with a spring valve and a brass nozzle..

Thanks all!!
Putting a valve on a horn is not difficult. I do agree the tube flask is better option for a revolver.

The Italian powder flasks are of general awful quality.

Forget them, and get yourself a nice powder horn. Powder horns are period correct from about the 15th century until, well, today. Nobody out there makes a good reproduction metallic powder flask.
Horn.
20191228_150703.jpg

A long trek horn I made. Holds a pound.

This is a quality flask apparently belonging to Sam Colt at one time. (Note his signature on the head). Thumbpiece is brass, not plated pot metal as on some and the body bears the "Colts Patent" notice. Spout volume equals 21 grains FFFg.002.JPG
I'd like a lesser charge but rather than trim the original spout would prefer to find another to fiddle with. However, the threads are M12x1.0, rather than the M10x1.0 usually seen. Where might I find a replacement spout using the larger diameter threads?

Last edited:
Gun Tramp, I seriously doubt that flask owned by Sam Colt would have metric threads. Look for a made in Italy stamp.

You might put a Want-To-Buy in the Classifieds for a spout with 12mm-1.0 threads of the grain measure you want

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back