• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacing my barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need to replace the barrel for my CVA Hawken .50 and have found that Deer Creek sells replacements for this rifle. Anyone have any experience with these barrels? If so, I would appreciate any info to help me make an informed decision.
I realize they are white/unfinished and will need to be blued or browned. I'm wondering if they are drilled and tapped for an adjustable rear sight and the under-barrel rib.

they come with dovetails & screw holes. you'll need to add sights, rib/thimbles, and I believe the wedge loop.

Why does it need replacement? If it's all rusty, and there's enough wall thickness left, you might give it to Bobby Hoyt and have him ream it out to be a 52 or even a 54 caliber. If it's all crummy on the outside, draw filing and refinishing might be an option. Both are cheaper than buying a new barrel, and then making everything fit just right, because they never seem to.

It's badly pitted on the inside and tearing the patches as it leaves the barrel. I thought about having it bored out to .54 but, the price of the new .50 cal. barrel is less than the cost of doing that. Besides, I want a .50. :)

The exterior has minor flaws but, looks good overall. I may want to get it bored out some day so, I'll hang on to it. Having the choice of two calibers would be nice.

Col. Batguano said:
If it's all rusty, and there's enough wall thickness left, you might give it to Bobby Hoyt and have him ream it
Mr. Hoyt will not do the Spanish made barrels because of the breech style

What do you have to do to it to get it installed? Are the lugs and sight dovetails already cut? Tang bolt hole drilled and countersunk?

CVA Hawken 28", 1-48" twist in-the-white, hooked breech.

All holes are drilled and tapped and all dovetails are cut. I need to clean it thoroughly, apply the bluing, and transfer all accessories (sights, under-rib, etc.)
This is truly a "drop in" replacement ...except for the bluing.
The barrel came with a bolster and (surprisingly) a new nipple. Breech plug is included and installed. I ran a few patches down the bore (very smoooooooth) and checked it with my drop light and it is pristine.

If you need a new barrel for any CVA rifle, check out Deer Creek Products first.

For those who don't know, when CVA decided to get out of the sidelock muzzleloader business, the folks at Deer Creek bought up all of their replacement parts.

That's why they can supply factory drop in barrels and the like.

If they don't have the part, it is unlikely that anyone can find a new replacement part although a lot of people do part out their old CVA's and sell the parts on the web.

Of course, more than a few people have found that the "Prestine, Like New, rifle barrel" they got off of the web served duty as a fence post on Cy's farm for 15 years before it was rediscovered. :rotf:

I've never had a problem buying off the web. Maybe it's luck or maybe not but I always try to use my best judgment. I look closely at the pictures and carefully weigh each decision. If the pictures aren't good, then I am very skeptical and then only purchase or feel it is worth a chance if it is a very good price. I've gotten a few things cheap because the seller actually was overly critical with the item he was selling. Buy with caution and check it close. I also go by their sales ratings too. If they aren't near perfect, I pass.

Zonie said:
For those who don't know, when CVA decided to get out of the sidelock muzzleloader business, the folks at Deer Creek bought up all of their replacement parts.
It's not quit like that.
Deer Creek has always been CVA's repair and custom shop, they have always had a direct line to the Spanish made parts and maintain that today.
They are not necessarily running new/old stock from a buy out,, they are a new parts supply distribution house.
Dixie Gun works is another that has a direct supply, but Deer Creek has always specialized with the Spanish made guns.

My mountain rifle had a USA made barrel. Are these replacement barrels Spanish made?

First trip to the range with the new barrel was last Friday (9/1). Accuracy is promising ....first few hits were about 3" high and 3" right and the last 3 were appox. 1" high with windage right on. Sights appear to be "on" so, the next trip I'll work on adjusting components for better accuracy.

Accuracy is getting better. I've been shooting .495 swaged RB from Hornady with good results. I cut patches at the muzzle and the .011" pillow ticking has been "pre-lubed" with Ballistol an water ...ala Dutch. Following his recipe, I wipe between shots using a different Ballistol and water mix and my 50yd groups have been shrinking to around 2" consistently.
On the afternoon on the first Sunday this month, I shot my first local ML match and snagged 2nd place. :) I was pleasantly surprised as the match required shooting at 25yds and 75yds (different targets) and I had never shot this rifle at either distance. I wasn't quite sure where to hold the sights but, my educated guess paid off at 75yds. 25yds was not quite so good. :)
I've begun casting my own RB with good results but, not quite as good as the Hornady swaged. Looks like I have a few things to re-learn about consistent casting.
I'm still in search of the sub 1" group at 100yds so, I have more work to do. Changing the type of balls is my first change in recipe and I need to get that worked out before changing anything else.

It's all fun. Watch your front sight.

RJ

Back