• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

replacing band spring on Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfJustice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
So I've got an Armi Sport 1861 Springfield and I don't like the springs on it. Namely, they do not offer enough resistance. Slight pressure is enough to depress them, and often while marching around in the field my bands come loose.
The second problem is they are not the correct shape.

So I want to replace them. How does one do this? What tools will I need. It seems that therifleshoppe offers springs, but will I need to heat treat them at all? (I don't really want to do this)

Thanks!

If the springs on your ArmiSport are fastened like the originals, all you will need is a pin punch that will fit the hole on the opposite side of the stock from the forward end of the spring. These springs are L shaped. The short leg goes into the stock and of course the long end lies in the groove. Remove the barrel band and gently tap on the punch and the spring should come free.

I'm not familiar with TRS's replacement parts, but I would think that springs should already be tempered though I may be wrong. I also don't know if theirs are cast or forged steel. If you do need to temper them, heat them to a dull red and quench them in oil. Clean them up well enough that you can see the bare steel. Then you can place them on a metal lid with about a half inch of sand on it and put it on a kitchen stove burner. Watch carefully as the spring changes color. When it reaches a medium to dark blue, remove from the fire and allow to air cool. This is a method that Bud Siler used on his lock parts for years and I have found it to work very well on small parts such as this. I do want to note that if the replacement bands you get are common steel and not high carbon, this nor any other tempering method will work. You would have to case-harden them. And if you do that, take great care not to allow the case hardening to go to deep as a thin part thus treated will break very easily. Your best bet will be to find a dealer who sells original musket parts and get an original set if possible.

Back