• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacing a Pedersoli drum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased a new drum for my Pedersoli Kentucky, problem is the nipple doesn't line up. It's at least 3/4 of a turn off, is there a trick to this or do I need to get it to someone with a lathe to take a smidge from the face?

Longone

Drums are usually drilled for the nipple once they are installed. Trying to index a pre-drilled drum is... difficult to say the least. Best option always in this case is to buy a blank and actually drill the nipple hole using a drum jig once you have it installed and are able to accurately make your marks.

Figure out how many thousands per turn for your thread pitch. Multiply that by your .75 of a turn. Use a lathe to remove half of that, try the fit. Figure it again and remove half, repeat until you are perfect.

Say it is some metric deal at 20 TPI. That is 0.050" per turn. Times .75 is 0.0375". That is a fair amount to file accurately. It could be done if you are careful. It is an easy lathe project.

well said, I have "lined up" several drums with a lathe, If you take off a little two much you can make a "shim" washer to get the right alignment. :idunno:

I imagine I could line it up and use a feeler gage between the drum and barrel and work it that way. Next issue is to find a lathe.

Thanks for your help guys.

Longone

Any local builder will likely have a drum tool. Maybe he could do in on the back of a truck with a cordless drill.

Where in CT are you. How far from kingston NY. We got Sunday woodswalk shoots in march over here.

Post some pics. There's 2 major types of drums with commercial guns.

Ones that channel the fire down the middle of the drum and straight out. And the ones that come into the barrel at a right angle at the end. You have to line up the hole on the side of the bolt with the rear of the barrel too.

I'm not sure how to post pics or if I'm even allowed to. The drum threads into the barrel and the nipple is on the other end of the drum @ 90* to the threads. So the timing would have to be pretty close I would think. I would guestimate that I'm at least 2+ hours from Kingston.

Back