• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington & Triple 7

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To Patocazador:
I could do as you say.
I did that, with the purchase of a bottle (9 oz. )
of IMR Trail Boss for some BP cartridge guns.
At $25.00 a bottle ( to replace black powder), I might as well as bought a bottle of flour.
I can throw rocks faster!
So hopefully somebody could give me a valid and knowingly response to my quest.
Fred

My experience with Triple 7 in my Remington is very limited. A friend and I were shooting our muzzleloaders one day and I switched to my 1858 Remington loading it with 30 grains of 3f Goex black powder. My friend asked if he could shoot it. I told him that it was fine with me. Owing to the cost for powder, he insisted on using his own powder which turned out to be Triple 7. I had heard that you need to reduce your Triple 7 loads by 10% of what you were using with black powder. So, we loaded the Remington with 25 grains of Triple 7 and he blazed away. He shot a couple or three cylinders of Triple 7. He seemed to be doing as well as I had been with black powder. So, I didn't see anything wrong with loading 25 grains of Triple 7 in my Remington. I didn't do any bench rest firing of the Triple 7 so I can't really say how the accuracy compares but our offhand shooting at 15 yard targets was pretty comparable between the two different powders.

It states that for loading cartridges. It states to load "firmly" when loading muzzleloaders and cap n ball guns.

I've emailed Hodgdon's several times to have "firmly" clarified, but I never received a response. But it's clear that it's more compression than the light compression mentioned otherwise.

I don't have a Remington, but I do have a Traditions 1858 New Army, 44 caliber, which is similar. I have used loads of 20 and 25 grains of 777, with no problems. I have not shot for accuracy, so I don't know which is best....Robin :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Ford
Search Captain Baylor's Ranger Camp, this website has alot of info on 777 and alike vs black powder. May be useful.
BFJ

I use a level scoop of T7 3F and a level scoop of T7 2F

If you ask me 2F is more accurate then 3F using T7

i use an 1858 remington from uberti as my field gun in alaska, i use 3f 777 and load it heavy, only ever had 1 problem and that was from loading a damp chamber. as for accuracy it took me a bit to learn where my pistol was putting those loads but it shoots a consistant 5 inch group at 25 yards and thats good enough for my ability with a pistol and my reason to carry it. i could likely reduce my groups with practice and a bit of work up on my loading but as i said it does what i need to i use it the way it is.

Hello Hillbilly,
Do you use round ball or conical bullets?
And as a field gun, do you use pre-loaded paper cartridges?
I really enjoy my 5 1/2" Stainless Remington.
I have loaded Pyrodex :cursing:(poor groups ) and loaded 3f black which groups much better, but follow up shots become very stiff. I will try white grease on the cylinder next time out.
This gun is more fun than my cartridge 45 LC, 44 special, or 38
The loading is much slower, but that is part of it all.
I'm not in a fire fight, so that is not a consideration.
All the best!
Fred

I found 2F in almost all the substitutes to be the most accurate.

What i found with pyrodex is its forgiving like black powder. What i mean is from load to load if you pack one chamber tighter then the next its forgiving and still shoots accurate.

T7 is finiky about how hard you pack it. If they arnt all packed the exact same your groups open up.

Pyrodex is accurate but its fouling is sticky like glue i hate it but i love how easy it is to find and how accurate it is.

I love the punch from T7 but if you dont use a bench loader tool you might not get as good of groups with it. I made a little wedge from a nail and i put it in the ram rod of my remington to stop the ramrod at the same place every time i load and that helped alot. Each chamber was packed the exact same and the ball was in the exact same spot on all 6 chambers that works best if you dont have a seperate laoder.

Also using filler seems to help with T7 because the filler acts as a sort of buffer when packing. It sort of takes up some of the slack so to speak so the powder doesnt get over packed.

Ive finally figured out a system that works for me and i can finally put a ball where i point it now.

it took me a while to get back to this thread.
old ford i havent yet found a bullet mold for my 1858 so i'm using round ball. and i use 1 1/2 wide cigarette papers for my paper cartridges

I loaded up an Uberit 1860 Colt with 30 grains of 777 about 10 years back. Last week I shot it. The balls barely made out the barrel and there was a thud when the shots went off, not a BOOM. I tried 777 in a cap type T/C Hawken and there was a delay and I missed my shot and bought some Swiss and I will not go back to 777 - ever. With Swiss the shots go off when they are supposed to ”“ NOW.

That's terrible!

I've never left mine longer than 2 months with no issues, but I'd like to think it can be relied upon for 6 months or even longer. Anyone noticed issues in a much shorter span?

azmntman said:
Same experience, hiss poof and ball went 20 yds (was loaded a year plus).

Have you left a load of swiss 10 years though? Wonder what it would do?
As Swiss is real black powder, and assuming a proper seal all the way around, I would wager good money that it would fire.

Who would leave as gun loaded for 10 years, or even a year? Using real BP even Hickok would empty and reload his every morning. If I have a loaded gun I shoot it(esp. a BP one). The urge to shoot is to much for me to leave one for any length of time. I think my record is 3 days. Also if you have powder thats over a year old your not shootin enuf! I buy 5-6 pounds of powder every year. I have synthetic powder thats 5+ years old ( I didn't buy it)and have had no issues with it. Where did it come from if I didn't buy it? Well up here in Michigan we have BP hunting season for deer, and I have older relatives who decide to quit hunting. The guns usually goes to a son and the powder, ball, caps usually makes it to my house. If you didn't know already I have my own range out back of my house and it gets used,some times alot.

Latest posts

Back