• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Redcoats

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbg

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I just finished Steven Brumwell's book Redcoats. I thought it was an outstanding book, though it dealt little with the British soldier's experience in the French and Indian War and what Brumwell referred to as the "American War". Having also read White Devil, all I can say is that I recommend both books highly. It gives a tremendous insight to the daily workings of the British army from 1750-1850, and a real feeling for what those who "took the King's shilling" lived through.

I was more impressed with Redcoats than White Devil. However, while Brumwell makes the argument that the redcoats did adapt to forest warfare, they were still nowhere close in skill to that of their Indian counterpart. A very good point he makes is that the British American Army that won the war by 1760 was no longer in existence by the time of the Revolution. It had been decimated in the Carribeans or disbanded by 1760. Either way, many skilled veterans were not there to rally to the colors in the family feud that stretched across the pond.

Back