• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red river knife Sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just purchased a new in the package Red River knife made by Cold Steel real nice knife it comes with a mountain man type sheath does anyone know if the sheath is leather or not I can't tell,but I suspect it is a man made material..TC...rusty

If you can carve a small bit of it from spot where it won't show, try a burn test. Your nose will know the difference between burnt leather and, well just about anything else on the planet! :grin:

It is a leather but I really cant tell which animal they come from, Plus they are really junk. Just make your own by using the old one as a pattern. They are simple to make and you can just stick a plain butcher in the old one for messin about.

By the way the Cold Steel butchers are not made by Russell but by cold steel of there Carbon V steel. By far some of the best steel for outdoor real use knives. There are several people out there that cried when Lynn T. discontinued them from the line. Nowadays they go for over 35$ on Ebay.

And I buy everyone I can find!!!

Thanks for the info guy's I really like the knife and I probably will use the sheath for a pattern to make a new one.I paid $36.00 on ebay for it but I wanted one for a long time.I'll have to put a better edge on it, the factory edge is not very good ..TC..rusty

Back