• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recovered Revolver Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I fired off an old loaded cylinder full of balls from an ASM 1851 Sheriff's Model at the range.
The target backing was thick foam so I was able to recover 5 balls. Since the loads were weak they didn't deform much, but they did lose some of their roundness from the rifling.
The ball diameters across the engraved portions which represent the barrel lands measure .443, .4435, .445.
Measured from top to bottom they're ~.4625.

P1050185a52.jpg

P1050188a41.jpg

That is cool. The first time I have seen pictures of recovered revolver bolls :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing!

Good work on both the recovery and the photography! :thumbsup: I assume that the rings seen on some balls are from the loading lever & that the loading lever marks are present on the others, just that that end is turned away from the camera?

I'm kind of surprised at the amount of deformation from loading.

What size balls are they?

When I load my 1851 Navy with .454's they don't deform.

HD

. nov 8 / 03:35

outstanding !

ditto everything coot posted.. while on the subject, just what did you use for lighting and lens and camera ? and, if it's not too much to ask, the exposure ? i too am an old shutterbug but pretty much dropped out when digital took over.

The pictures were taken set on the "simple" or auto setting and then cropped. The fairly inexpensive 5 megapixel Panasonic Luminex camera with stabilization (anti-shake) deserves all of the credit. I simply try to hold the camera extra steady when I snapped the pictures as if I was shooting a pistol! :wink:
I didn't load the round balls so I'm not sure what size they were. But I would guess extra oversized.
The dimension at the chamber mouths are uniformly .4505, but one was undersized at .4485.
There's striations on the rifling lands in the barrel that are visible in the engraving on the balls. Maybe that's an indication that the bore could be smoothed out some by lapping with bore paste.
Thanks for the compliments!

Excellent pictures youcane see the grooves from the rifling as well. Very interesting.

Juggernaut

Back