• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Recommended Arbor Grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plain old bearing grease does a great job and a can is not expensive and lasts a lifetime. Buy the smallest can you can find because a little bit goes a long way.

I find that white lithium grease works in my 1858's. A small tube will last a long time.

Many Klatch

I've used everything from Bore Butter to Lithium Wheel Bearing grease.
They all work and even the petroleum based greases are pretty much contained inside the cylinder so it doesn't seem to make the black powder fouling at the ends of the cylinder worse.

Having a good layer of grease on the cylinder arbor was one of the things Colt relied on to keep his guns shooting. That's why the cylinder arbor has that tight spiral groove machined into it. It's supposed to be filled with grease.

My Tallow + Beeswax Ball Lube works about as well as anything else. I remove the 1858 cylinders to reload on a benchtop loader, so it's always easy to apply more & the ball lube is always on hand at the range.

Billnpatti said:
Plain old bearing grease does a great job and a can is not expensive and lasts a lifetime. Buy the smallest can you can find because a little bit goes a long way.

Many years ago I bought a ten-pound can of Shakespeare spinner reel gear grease from a closing-down sale. It cost me =$5.

Not only am I still using it, but many others have had little containers filled from it, too. Guess I'll be leaving it to my grandaughter, in case she takes up BP handgun shooting.

tac

Limehouse said:
Any suggestions for a suitable grease or lube for use in sub-freezing temperatures?

I have used Bore Butter down to 0 degrees F. It is stiff, but once you fire the first shot the gun warms up and things move well enough.

Any colder and I just won't shoot.

Vaseline

"Commander Robert Peary took Vaseline with him when he became the first man to reach the North Pole, because it wouldn't freeze even at the lowest temperatures."

Its even used to prevent frostbite on chickens' combs.

Claypipe said:
Vaseline

"Commander Robert Peary took Vaseline with him when he became the first man to reach the North Pole, because it wouldn't freeze even at the lowest temperatures."

Huh....I am gonna have to try that this winter!

Claypipe said:
Vaseline

Is that why Barney Fife's hair always looked kinda greasy? He used Vaseline to keep his comb from freezing?

I bet the Fonz never used Vaseline on his hair or his comb. :grin:

Both probably used Brylcreem! :blah:

Personally, I use a little Indian Hemp Hair Pomade on my beard, from time to time. My woman loves how soft and tickling it is.

I use a calcium based water pump grease, Alvania, for both arbor and sealing the chambers, it is quite thick and sort of amber colour.

Cheers

heelerau

Latest posts

Back